Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-19-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cured live rock & the cycle

I think I ended up with mostly cured live rock. I'm assuming that there will be some die off but will this start the cycle in my tank? Or do I have to start it on my own ( via dead shrimp)? Can I put a clean up crew in? Or should I just keep the tests going for a few weeks? Thanks

Steve

Old 10-19-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

How long ago did you start? Was this LR out of the water? You can also add an ammonia source and if there is enough nitrifying bacteria then you might not see a cycle. I would definitely wait a few more weeks to see what the added ammonia will do.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
how much rock did you add and what size tank is this? how was the rock transported and if it was out of water, for how long?
Old 10-19-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Before you consider your cycle "complete" you may want to read this article (Myth #15).

Mything the Point, Part Three: Conclusion - Reefkeeping.com

This is a great description of the biological process. Time and patience will save you a lot of money and troubles. I plan to follow the timeline in the picture about 1/2 way down when I fire up my 92 corner bowfront...
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

The tank is 120g with a 30g sump. I bought 100 lbs of live rock. It was in water at the LFS and I brought it home in styrofoam boxes. I'm not looking to rush the process but just curious if ammonia is even going to show up because i think it's cured. It might not be but...
Steve
Old 10-19-2010, 11:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

if your not sure its cured then assume its not I figure, since the tank is empty throw in the dead shrimp or seafood like you were planning and watch the levels.

I had LR from a Tank that was setup for over a year so when I threw the dead shrimp in after a week the ammonia was .5 and then it went down to 0 shortly after but I also had old filter media as well which was all transported in water.

Put a peppermint shrimp in the tank a few days ago and hes doing great along with some crabs so im just watching the levels still hoping to not see a crash.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm assuming it's not. As for the dead shrimp how do you exactly go about that? Is it just a supermarket bought one and toss it in? How long do you leave it in?

Thanks...Steve
Old 10-19-2010, 11:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cycle your salt tank

Check out that article, to cycle the tank you take the shrimp or seafood and just throw it in and leave it do the magic.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:54 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

When you take LR out of the water, you will start the death cycle right away. There are always things on LR that will die with exposure to air, especially if they were transported out of the water, even wrapped in wet newspaper. Just count on a cycle, it's your best assumption.
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:26 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
good advice. besides, LFS "cured" rock, is most likely rock that's been sitting in the live rock bin at the lfs for an extended period of time. the same bin they put the rock that just arrived in. the LFS's near here don't even heat, or change the water in the live rock bins.
i'm betting they have no idea how much that rock you have there has been sitting in that tank.
i would not trust it to be cured.

Tags
cycle, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com