cured LR mean has life in it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hc8719

Aquarium Advice Addict
i guess i never put much thought to it, but does cured rock mean, it has been filled with life?

The term cured generally refers to live rock that has been aged in stable water long enough to no longer have rot or decay occouring in or on it. When it is shipped, even if it was "cured", it will have some die-off after it has been out of the water for hours, (not to mention sitting on the tarmac waiting to board anoyther plane). Cured live rock should not produce any detectable ammonia nor nitrite; it should be able to break them down!

that was kinda a different question melsou but thanks anyways, and to fishyondas.

so cured is non rotting LR, is all LR pretty much cured at the lfs?

Ok I see. Sorry about that. Cured rock is rock that has developed nitrifying bacteria on it that helps in the breakdown of excessive nutrients. Yes when you first get it you will have a die off of plant or life that will give off ammonia till cured. this ammonia will give start to your nitrifying bacteria. Sorry for misunderstanding your question.

Not all live rock at any given LFS is cured. When I receive shipments, it may take sometimes up to two months to cure out completely. Generally speaking, if you can smell any nasty funk, it is not fully cured yet. When in doubt, you would do best to place the rock in question in a holding tank or Rubbermaid container for a week or so. When there is no detectable ammonia or nitrite, the rock is "cured" and can be safely placed in the display tank. While the rock is "curing", be sure to keep the calcium and carbonates at the highest acceptable level. This will reduce further die-off.

Back
Top Bottom