cured/uncured rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MisticX

Aquarium Advice Freak
what is the difference between cured and uncured living rock ?

i mean i have no ideea what each of them is ... that is why i ask
:uzi::n00b:
:splat

Cured rock has been sitting in a tank long enough for any dead matter to be gone from the rock. Uncured is fresh out of the box and has dead and dieing matter/organics.

Fully cured LR that is added to a tank also will generally not cause a spike in ammonia and if enough of it is used can, and I hate to even mention this, give you an instant cycle.

Uncured LR is probably the best method to cycle a new tank.

I have a question to add to this, when establishing a new tank, can you still put both in the tank? I know it would be better to put cured live rock in the tank so it cycles better, but since there are no livestock in the tank yet couldn't you still put un-cured live rock in it?

I have a question to add to this, when establishing a new tank, can you still put both in the tank? I know it would be better to put cured live rock in the tank so it cycles better, but since there are no livestock in the tank yet couldn't you still put un-cured live rock in it?

your previous post answered that question.
yes you can cycle a new tank with uncured rock.

i still do not understand the principle though
why is it called LIVE rock ?

Because it's "live" with bacteria (normally in the case of cured), or will be "live" with bacteria soon (after the cycle.)

There are microscopic life that live inside and on the rock (there may also be small marine life like a snail or shrimp). Live rock also acts as a biological filter.

It is LIVE because it houses the beneficial bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate. Deep within the rock are anoxic areas that house the bacteria that eat nitrates and turn them back inot nitrogen, which is where the cycle starts and ends.

Uncured LR from the sea may also contain a myriad of creatures that will sprout over time. Amphipods, copepods,isopods, bristle worms, feather dusters, anemones, etc. Some may also have corals, a/o sponges on them. You may also end up with a pistol or mantis shrimp, variuos types of crabs, etc.

so basically this is somewhat a sponge in my HOB filter in the freshwater tank ...??

this means that i will not need a filter in the saltwater tank ?

Correct... assuming you have an adequate (1-2 lbs/gallon of tank) amount of live rock.

Folks will often use a filter without the sponges though to run chemical media like carbon or other synthetic resins.

ty melosu, excellent link, pretty much answered all my questions

TYVM EVERYONE, i think we have a lot of database here, creating some noobs guides should not be long

I have most of what you need in my sig file.....

Back
Top Bottom