Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2005, 11:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Cured vs Uncured LR

I am fixing to buy about another 30 lbs of lr and I have noticed a significant price difference between buying cured and uncured rock. I have a second tank that I could technically quarantine the rock in, but I am not sure what the best thing to do is.

My second tank does not have a Skimmer or Refugium on it, would that make a difference in curing rock? How do you cure lr anyway? All the other rock I have bought has been cured when I got it. I know there is a lot of die off in the process of curing rock, but I need more info!

Also where would you purchase rock online? I have seen good results from liverocks.com but is there anywhere better or are they the best.

Thanks for all the help you guys can provide!

Old 02-28-2005, 12:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you can cure it yourself and save money then do it. Just put the rock in the other tank with a power head and walk away. Leave it in there for a couple weeks or so and do frequent water changes, with conditioners of course, test the water a few times and wait for the normal cycling to complete. I would think 2 to 3 weeks ought to do it.

http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 01:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I purchased my rock from LR.com and am very happy. I used the rock to cycle the tank. It was cheaper from them even after adding shipping than my LFS. The rock from them is not cured but is so fresh that there is minimal dieoff and ammonia spikes.

To cure LR all you need is a tub/tank, heater and PH. Keep a check on ammonia and after it reaches zero it is cured.

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 01:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Tito2491 Send a message via MSN to Tito2491
I hav Fiji rock , one is very purple , one is whitish brownish with purple spots on it and the third on is purple but not completley , i hav a 10 gal , how do i get them to turn purple?
Old 02-28-2005, 01:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That is all algae and there is no way to make it change, it just does it over time.

Thanks for the advice everyone, is there anyone in particular to ask for when I call lr.com? I live in FL so it says for me to call for better shipping rates.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

They were charging me $40.00 for the 10 ibs of LR and 46.99 For Shipping and i liv in florida to , O wow 10 ibs of live rock is really really heavy
Old 02-28-2005, 03:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
how do i get them to turn purple?
The purple stuff is coraline algea. It does take time to grow but you can speed up the process by keeping your calcium levels high, between 400-450. You should also try to maintain an ALK of 3.5-4.5. trace elements are also important so do not slack on the water changes.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the advice everyone, is there anyone in particular to ask for when I call lr.com? I live in FL so it says for me to call for better shipping rates.
Ask for Mike or Zack. Both are very helpful and will get you what you need. If you live within a few hours of them it might be worth the drive to go pic up the rock instead of spending big bucks on shipping.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:06 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think they are in South Florida. I am in the Panhandle area, which is way North and just West of Tallahassee.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I live in Coral Springs Florida Am I Far ?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com