"Curing" BR???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patroklos

Aquarium Advice Freak
So,

Not curing it literally, as there is nothing alive on it to let rot off, but I have read before that you shouldn't add new base rock straight to an online tank.

I ask because my tank is not 2 weeks into the cycle (started by curing 35 lbs of LR) and my BR (45lbs) I ordered is still not here even though it was supposed to arive "early August" :rolleyes:

So, since it looks like my BR isn't going to get here anytime soon and my cycle already had an ammonia spike with the nitrites off the chart, will I have to cycle again when I add the base rock? Its a 65 gallon reef tank.

If it's true base rock - dried, with nothing on it to die off - then adding it later won't effect anything because there's nothing to die off and cause a cycle.

Not sure why you couldn't add any amount of base rock to an existing tank.

no you can just just cure the rock outside of your tank and then add it after. mixing up water in a bucket and chuck your rock in the bucket with a powerhead to keep the water circulating. there is a chance you wont have to cure it since it has been out of the water for so long but since you dont know it is better to be safe then sorry

I guess some other posters were worried about any unforseen things contained in the rock that might mess up the water parameters, which of course would be less or a problem if you were in the middle of a cycle vise an active aquarium.

In any case, thanks, I won't sweat it so much now :D

Not sure about all base rock but if it's from Marco Rocks I would highly suggest you cure it first. Mine (and others I have heard) contained dead/dried things in the rock. Once introduced to water they re-hydrated and started to rot..

I found quite a few dried up critters in my marcorock.

I agree withcuring dry rock. The water can trigger some "still to do" dying and decomosing.

At least after you rinse andbrush it off (totally nylon brush), I'd put it in some SW ( a bucket maybe) and see if you get any ammonia.

I have heard that about Marcorocks. I got some base rock (no longer offered) that just needed a good rinse to get the dust off and then was fine. To be sure I would put it in a tub/bucket with some fresh mixwed water for a few days and check for an ammonia spike.

Yeah, it is Marco Rocks. If he hurries up and actually delivers I can just cure it with the live rock.

Almost a month overdue now... :rolleyes:

You can email him, he is very responsive. I think the same thing happened to me and he didn't charge me for shipping....but I also bought 150Lbs of it.

I talked to him on the phone on Friday. I appreciate his candor and he is very pleasant, but honestly when your stock is three weeks overdue you should be able to give better status than "I don't know." He said something about Fiji being hard to contact, but they have the internet and phones like anyplace else, if your buisness depends on it you can wake yourself up at 3am to make phone call.

I always cure any rock i get for at least 48 hrs usually before dropping it in my show tank! Cause once you put that crap in there without curing it thoroughly and it had something dried on it waiting to be activated your screwed. I use a huge bucket with Two PowerHeads

Back
Top Bottom