Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Curing BRS dry rock - use live sand, too?

I picked up a bunch of dry rock from BRS, as well as some AragAlive sand. When I do the cure, is it better to have the sand in the tank, or cure it with just the rock? I'd imagine the sand would decrease the cure / cycle time as the BB will start chowing down on the nasties pretty quickly. (Also, do I need to drop a raw shrimp in there to speed things along, too?)

Old 03-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I just started a cycle myself, I am using dry sand and dry rock. I am following the video on BRS website and curing the rock for 4 weeks then starting the cycle to make sure there is no PO4. I have ammonia so the dead stuff on the rock will start the cycle for you. But you can and I did to add a piece of shrimp in a media bag so I can remove it easier. After one month I am like I said doing a 100% water change and try to see if I cycle again at that point to make sure there is no or little PO4 and I will add an amonia source to see if the cycle is finished

Old 03-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good call on the media bag for the shrimp...

Are you going to use hardware store ammonia after the cure/cycle and watch for it to drop to 0 after a day or so?

I (as well as my wife and 3 daughters) are eager to get this tank populated. I just keep telling myself, and them, that patience is key, and that we can't put anything in until the tank is ready...
Old 03-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

yea I will probably use store bought.

Yes patience is key and it is not easy. I was having trouble keeping SPS and i took my tank down and used all new rock, and sand. I think I was going through Old Tank Syndrom. So this time I went with a shallow 1" sandbed instead of the 6" i had. its very hard to be patient. Friday I had 14" BTA Maroon Clown, other fish, LPS, SPS, etc... broke my heart to tear it down but hopefully its for the best! One piece of advice no matter how beautiful you think Xenia is do not i repeat do not put it in your tank! LOL! it will take over the rock, walls, everything! Biggest mistake I ever made.

Tags
brs, curing, dry, dry rock, live, live sand, rock, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com