Curing Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ravior

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I purchase 45lbs live rock from LiveAquaria.com. It had a lot of die-off. I've been curing since I got it (2 weeks ago) in a seperate 30 gal rubbermaid container. I coulnt keep it inside because of the smell. So, I kept it in the garage with a heater and power head (temp stayed above 72). I started scrubbing the rock and it looked much better. Ammonia levels didnt seem to change from 8+ and nitrite and nitrate sayed at 0. So, this week i brought it inside and added a skimmer on it. That kept the smell down but the readings are still not changing. I'm doing 50% every 2 days. Readings after the 50% change still show 4+ on the ammonia and 0's for nitrite/nitrate. I'm hoping that all I need to do now is give it more time.

Is there something I am doing wrong? Is time the key since there was so much die-off?

Yep, all you can do is keep pluggin, I wonder how cold it got in the garage in the coldest part of the night? That may have something to do with it as well.

It probably did get cold. I didn't know till I did a search on this forum that the skimmer would help with the smell. That was when I brought it inside. Cool, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom