Curing LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
Whats the min salinity necessary to cure LR?

I have some leftovers that I had to store dry and now I want to add them to the main tank. I will cure in a tub but need to know min salinity. And do I use a heater as well?

could be used or it could be clean, just add an ammonia source to it and start the cycle. yes put a small eater that is preset to 78*

How often do i need to clean/siphon? Do water changes?

I might actually move it to an 18 gal tub so it's easier to siphon

well usually when you cycle a tank you do a water change after the ammonia and nitrite drop to 0. its good to keep the ammonia in the water to build up the LRs bacteria

When I was curing my LR I kept them in 5gal buckets with light, heaters (set to 80°F), and airstones to keep the surface agitated for gas exchange. Every week I would scrub the heck out of each of the rocks using a stiff nylon brush (from Home Depot for around $4) and change do a 100% water change. This whole process took about a month but the only thing that was really left on them was hair algae, which my CUC took care of.

OK. So I have Ammonia at about 4ppm. Last time i checked for Nitrite was 2 days ago and it was zero. Should I just let the Ammonia drop to zero before doing anything further?

I think I have scrubbed them well and did a couple of changes last week.

So, I tested the tub today and the Amm and Nitrite are both 0.

Should I do a water change and re-test tomorrow? or am I ready to add to my display tank?

I waited a bit. All is well. No ammonia or nitrite on day two.

I hate the lack of color, but I know it will pass.

Back
Top Bottom