Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-23-2009, 01:34 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlion View Post
Yeah I was anticipating 3 to 4 more weeks for any fish, but that is ok!

Yep, patients is everything when it comes to this, its going to be sooo worth it in the end. My friend decided he wanted a SW tank a few years ago, sunk about $300 just in the fish, not to mention all the equipment and threw it all in at once...yeah you guess it, he wasnt too happy when everything died. I think the learning, the waiting and the watching it grow is one of the funnest parts about it

Old 01-23-2009, 02:10 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Well I am going to take a different approach. My system is already establish but I want to add another 30Lb's to 35LB's more of LR. Since my system is already establish I wouldn't be able to just put it in my Tank. I have to use a Rubbermaid Tote or one of those 50 gallon Trash cans from Home Depot. So my curing might take more than a few weeks depending on the cycling. After that I can add it right into my Tank.

Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:59 PM   #13
Thanx but no.....

I'd always cure outside the tank, esp a new one. Al that die off the ends up feeding your cycle all ends up as nitrates in your new tank not to mention what ever else decays off of it. I'm a believer that all the good bacteria that I need will be on the LR after the rock gets cured. So by curing outside I don't have to gunk up my new tank, deal with the nitrates or do massive water changes to get the nitrates (and smell) down.

Instead I cure in a tub, do minimal water changes there. When the rock is ready, 1,2,3 plop plop into the display/sump and let the bacteria take hold where ever else it likes. Feed ammonia for a day or 2 to make sure then it's fish time.

That way my display starts out at 0 ammonia, o nitrite/ 0 nitrate and the tub I just rinse and store. Most important the cycle would be with tap while my display is ro/di and pristine.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:00 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Patrick Bateman
I would strongly advise against adding any kind of bacteria products (like Biospira) to "speed things along". They simply do not work. Using uncured live rock is sufficient on its own to cycle your tank. You may consider adding a calcium supplement to promote growth of coralline algae. I also suggest using Chemi-Pure Elite to remove phosphates and nip that nasty cyanobacteria in the bud.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
I would strongly advise against adding any kind of bacteria products (like Biospira) to "speed things along".

Yes I did not go that route either, I added fish flakes (with out fish in there of course) within the the first week of having the LR and sand in there my ammonia and Nitrate levels spiked to 8 and was already rapidly decreasing to 0. Whatever works, I think everyone goes about some things a little differently
Old 01-25-2009, 02:06 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just got the LR today, I scrubbed it off with a toothbrush and rinsed in salt water. Now it's in the tank, hopefully curing! The smell isn't too bad so far...have to wait and see if it gets worse.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:57 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Funny, I always loved the smell of uncured liverock.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:25 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
Funny, I always loved the smell of uncured liverock.
But you have always been a little different

I started mine curing in a tub scrubbed and rinsed a couple times over a week or so as I remember, then put it in the tank. Judging by the amount of stuff I got out of the rock in the tub, I'm glad I started it there.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:31 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just wanted to run some water parameters by everyone. I tested my water, it has been about 24 hrs since I put the LR in. The Nitrite is still showing 0, but the ammonia is off the chart, at least 8.0. I that normal? Thanks everyone for the help!
Old 01-25-2009, 03:59 PM   #20
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Sounds good. Before long it will start to drop and nitrites will start to move up. 8 is kind of rough for any hitchikers. I usually dont recommend PWC`s during a cycle but you might want to consider one to get the ammonia down for the hitchikers sake.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
curing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com