Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2009, 04:01 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah I was trying to not do a PWC but I think I might have to, I am going to buy some premixed salt water and just do a 10G change I think.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:40 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlion View Post
Just wanted to run some water parameters by everyone. I tested my water, it has been about 24 hrs since I put the LR in. The Nitrite is still showing 0, but the ammonia is off the chart, at least 8.0. I that normal? Thanks everyone for the help!

Your ammonia will spike to 8 and then go back down to 0, once it does then you have started you nitrogen cycle

Old 01-26-2009, 02:56 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
.... 8 is kind of rough for any hitchikers. I usually dont recommend PWC`s during a cycle but you might want to consider one to get the ammonia down for the hitchikers sake.
See... I this is where I screwed up with my new tank... I monitored the Ammonia and everything else of course, but didn't think about any hitchikers.. I just let the Ammonia skyrocket and was stoked to see the nitrates kick in.

Now, my tank is awesome.. But now over 2 months into this, I have yet to see any hitchhikers in my tank. No Pods, worms, crabs, etc...

mtlion: Some things to expect.. Alot of that lovely purple coraline on your new LR will disapear. Don't sweat it.. I've heard it will come back. I pretty much lost ALL of mine.. But in the last week, I've started to notice some green, orange, and yellow coraline coming back strong in various different locations. Today, I noticed some small purple spots as well.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:56 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

I did the 10G PWC yesterday and I just checked my parameters again 48 hours into curing. The Nitrites are up to .25 and the Ammonia is still 8.0. My LFS (PETCO, grrr) is out of premixed saltwater so I cannot do anymore PWC. Guess I will just have to ride it out!

Tags
curing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com