Curing LR in new aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mtlion

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone! Finally got the tank filled up and the sump running (yay!) and the water is clearing up! Bought 50G bucket of Instant Ocean and getting ready to mix the salt water at the end of this week after sump runs for a few days and I get the temperature stabalized. Then comes the fun part, putting LR, and eventually fish, in the aquarium. Does anyone have any suggestions on curing. I have read so many different things about rinsing with higher salinity salt water to get rid of bad hitchhikers then hand picking what is wanted vs. just rinsing and scrubbing and placing in tank. What is the easiest way to cure the LR, and am I correct in saying not to change any water until the end and then do the large PWC. Also I think I read I will need to empty the skimmer every day. Again, any help is appreciated! Thanks!

First, you really only need to empty your skimmer when it's around half full to avoid overflowing. As far as curing your rock, most people say that curing it in a rubbermade container with a powerhead and heater for a few weeks is the best idea, testing for ammonia and nitrite the whole time and doing regular water changes. During this time, the water will probably smell rather foul, so change the water whenever it gets to be too much :) Depending on the rock, and the dead organisms inside, it can take a couple of weeks to a couple of months to cure, but once it does, you're home free.

Alternatively, if you're not planning on putting anything in your tank for a month or more, you can actually cure it in your tank. This is what I accidentally did when my LFS told me that their liverock was cured when it was definitely not. My ammonia went off the chart for over two weeks and dropped from 10ppm to 0 in litterally 24 hours. Nitrites also dropped off rather quickly after that. Most people wouldn't recommend this, and I really wouldn't either, but it can work if you'd rather avoid the whole curring process with the rubbermaid tub. My tank took between 6 and 8 weeks to cycle with the uncured liverock in it. It looks amazing now, and the water tests perfectly, so it's definitely feasible to do this, but if you want a quicker cycle, it's probably not the way to go.

Definitely do not wait til the very end to change the water. Do water changes ever few days. . . any experts out there that have confilcting advice? Good luck with your tank!

I find the best way to cycle a new tank is to purchase uncured liverock, which will provide your ammonia source. The cycle can last anywhere from 14 days to 30 days depending on circumstances. I prefer to lightly rinse the liverock just before adding to the tank initially just to remove excess silt and remove any sponges by hand if possible. Just a quick note, as you cycle you will notice sponge and other marine necrosis set in and fall to the substrate. I would vacuum (no, don't grab your Bissel or Dyson) these particles up, but not necessarily perform any major water changes until your NH3 and NO2 have converted and showing reasonable NO3 levels; otherwise, you risk extending your cycle.

Note: As Patrick mentioned, he did water changes every few days and it took 6-8 weeks to cycle, which is common in extended cycles.

What Innovator said reminded me of something I forgot to mention. You definitely want to use a toothbrush or something to scrub the live rock every couple of days, if not every day, to remove all the dead crap. Don't brush it off in the water that you keep it in though. Make sure you take it out of the water to brush it off. Hope this helps. Liverock can be a *****. (i didn't read the rules and regs. . . . can i get in trouble for saying the b-word?)

Ok, I just purchased standard fiji LR from Dr. Fosters and Smith. It says it is pre-cured, but to cure it again. I am definately going to cure it in the aquarium, the other container idea sounds great but is not an option for me unfortunately. Thanks for all of the advice!

You can cure LR in your aquarium since your just starting out, you will have to add bacteria to help it along...I think adding fish will be atleast 3-4 weeks in the future though. Also you should use Live Sand, will help out alot

That is an excellent idea to cure your LR and cycle your tank at the same time. Kills 2 birds with one stone. We have excellent articles in our article section about both. BTW yes you can get in trouble using the B word. Family site here.

Yeah I was anticipating 3 to 4 more weeks for any fish, but that is ok!

Yeah I was anticipating 3 to 4 more weeks for any fish, but that is ok!

Yep, patients is everything when it comes to this, its going to be sooo worth it in the end. My friend decided he wanted a SW tank a few years ago, sunk about $300 just in the fish, not to mention all the equipment and threw it all in at once...yeah you guess it, he wasnt too happy when everything died. I think the learning, the waiting and the watching it grow is one of the funnest parts about it

Well I am going to take a different approach. My system is already establish but I want to add another 30Lb's to 35LB's more of LR. Since my system is already establish I wouldn't be able to just put it in my Tank. I have to use a Rubbermaid Tote or one of those 50 gallon Trash cans from Home Depot. So my curing might take more than a few weeks depending on the cycling. After that I can add it right into my Tank.

I'd always cure outside the tank, esp a new one. Al that die off the ends up feeding your cycle all ends up as nitrates in your new tank not to mention what ever else decays off of it. I'm a believer that all the good bacteria that I need will be on the LR after the rock gets cured. So by curing outside I don't have to gunk up my new tank, deal with the nitrates or do massive water changes to get the nitrates (and smell) down.

Instead I cure in a tub, do minimal water changes there. When the rock is ready, 1,2,3 plop plop into the display/sump and let the bacteria take hold where ever else it likes. Feed ammonia for a day or 2 to make sure then it's fish time.

That way my display starts out at 0 ammonia, o nitrite/ 0 nitrate and the tub I just rinse and store. Most important the cycle would be with tap while my display is ro/di and pristine.

I would strongly advise against adding any kind of bacteria products (like Biospira) to "speed things along". They simply do not work. Using uncured live rock is sufficient on its own to cycle your tank. You may consider adding a calcium supplement to promote growth of coralline algae. I also suggest using Chemi-Pure Elite to remove phosphates and nip that nasty cyanobacteria in the bud.

I would strongly advise against adding any kind of bacteria products (like Biospira) to "speed things along".

Yes I did not go that route either, I added fish flakes (with out fish in there of course) within the the first week of having the LR and sand in there my ammonia and Nitrate levels spiked to 8 and was already rapidly decreasing to 0. Whatever works, I think everyone goes about some things a little differently :rolleyes:

Just got the LR today, I scrubbed it off with a toothbrush and rinsed in salt water. Now it's in the tank, hopefully curing! The smell isn't too bad so far...have to wait and see if it gets worse.

Funny, I always loved the smell of uncured liverock.

But you have always been a little different :rolleyes:

I started mine curing in a tub scrubbed and rinsed a couple times over a week or so as I remember, then put it in the tank. Judging by the amount of stuff I got out of the rock in the tub, I'm glad I started it there.

Just wanted to run some water parameters by everyone. I tested my water, it has been about 24 hrs since I put the LR in. The Nitrite is still showing 0, but the ammonia is off the chart, at least 8.0. I that normal? Thanks everyone for the help!

Sounds good. Before long it will start to drop and nitrites will start to move up. 8 is kind of rough for any hitchikers. I usually dont recommend PWC`s during a cycle but you might want to consider one to get the ammonia down for the hitchikers sake.

Back
Top Bottom