Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-06-2007, 10:20 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I think I will get a different test kit. I've read that the shelf life on these things is about 6 months and mine is 5. Another question, how long should it be (on average) before I should see the ammonia and nitrites come down? I haven't tested for nitrates yet.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:47 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Most test kits typically last a year or more but who knows how long they kit on a self before we buy them

Time for nh3/no2 to come down varies greatly on the source of nh3 but anywhere around the 3rd to 4th week is typical but can be sooner or later. Once you start getting no3 readings its close to wrapping up (another week or two).

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:01 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

The thing about ammonia is that it is extremely toxic at levels even below 1ppm. Water changes at this point will take you from extremely toxic to slightly less, but still extremely toxic. I've never heard of excess ammonia inhibiting a cycle either.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:14 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubikcube
I've never heard of excess ammonia inhibiting a cycle either.
It's stated on just about every article I've ever read on "curring lr" including the one on this site.

"The reason I do the water changes is; the ammonia and nitrite levels in the curing vessel will rise high enough to kill, not only the organisms alive on the rock, the nitrifying bacteria that mineralize the ammonia and nitrite. The water changes keep the ammonia levels from going high enough to be toxic to the nitrifying bacteria, with the added benefit of saving some of the life on the rock."

I agree that the point of LR is to house the "live bacteria" but often it comes with "bonus" life and less nh3 versus more nh3 is always less stressful.

If pwc reduced nh3 below 3 ppm then I can understand the prolonged cycle time but if off the chart then lowering the nh3 slightly should not affect total cycle time IMO.

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
Old 03-06-2007, 01:44 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecwzrd
Quote:
I've never heard of excess ammonia inhibiting a cycle either.
It's stated on just about every article I've ever read on "curring lr" including the one on this site.

"The reason I do the water changes is; the ammonia and nitrite levels in the curing vessel will rise high enough to kill, not only the organisms alive on the rock, the nitrifying bacteria that mineralize the ammonia and nitrite. The water changes keep the ammonia levels from going high enough to be toxic to the nitrifying bacteria, with the added benefit of saving some of the life on the rock."

I agree that the point of LR is to house the "live bacteria" but often it comes with "bonus" life and less nh3 versus more nh3 is always less stressful.

If pwc reduced nh3 below 3 ppm then I can understand the prolonged cycle time but if off the chart then lowering the nh3 slightly should not affect total cycle time IMO.
That's why I love this site--you learn something new every day. I've been reefing for almost two years and never knew this!
Old 03-06-2007, 03:04 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

There isn't any evidence(beyond hobbyist experience) or reason to think that ammonia would be toxic to nitrosomonas.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:17 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

I'll take "hobbyist experience" over your I "cycled" my 29 gal with a bag of purigen from seachem approach.

For someone how didn't "experience" any levels of nh3 during your cycle you sure are quick to dismiss any harmful effects of nh3 to bacteria and life on live rock.

But I forgot you're the PH guru so just let the nh3 get as high as you want with no ill affects.

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
Old 03-06-2007, 03:50 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
I'll take "hobbyist experience" over your I "cycled" my 29 gal with a bag of purigen from seachem approach.
Ahh, the dig up old posts approach to proving someone wrong. Still as fallacious as ever.

Quote:
For someone how didn't "experience" any levels of nh3 during your cycle you sure are quick to dismiss any harmful effects of nh3 to bacteria and life on live rock.
That's your response to me asking for non-anecdotal evidence? Forgive me for remaining skeptical.

Quote:
But I forgot you're the PH guru so just let the nh3 get as high as you want with no ill affects.
I don't claim to be a guru of anything. However, I still don't see how I was wrong in that thread. Oh wait, I forgot that personal attacks fix that problem.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:53 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Ok, let's keep it civil. We all have different experiences/knowledge. This thread can quickly turn sour which will help no one.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:24 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Oh wait, I forgot that personal attacks fix that problem.
Sorry for being personal but I do find it relevant that you never experienced a tank cycle yourself.

The PH post has numerous articles that refute your assumptions even if they aren't "scientific publications" so arguing that point is fruitless as well.

As for high nh3 concentrations I don't have an exact publication link so I'm done debating and as I said before let your nh3 get as high as you want without any unpropitious results.

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank

Tags
curing, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com