Curing rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rmckoy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've bought 60-70 lbs or rocks from another established tank but they were covered in mushrooms .
I didn't want that many so I filled a bucked with fresh water , killed of the mushrooms , changed the smells water and replaced with clean fresh water .
How long should I leave it in fresh water and than now long should I soak in saltwater before I add them to my tank .
I only did this with half of the rocks I bought . The rest added to my tank without a change in parameters .

Couldn't you have manually pulled the mushrooms off? Now everything on and in the rock is dead.

You'll have to let it sit in a bucket with circulation for a few weeks and cycle the bucket as if it's another tank, so you'll grow some beneficial bacteria back on the rock. You probably won't need an ammonia source because there's most likely a lot of dying matter on the rock that will fuel it for you.

Couldn't you have manually pulled the mushrooms off? Now everything on and in the rock is dead. You'll have to let it sit in a bucket with circulation for a few weeks and cycle the bucket as if it's another tank, so you'll grow some beneficial bacteria back on the rock. You probably won't need an ammonia source because there's most likely a lot of dying matter on the rock that will fuel it for you.

I could have . They we're covered I'm ok with cycling them .
It's only about 25-30 lbs

I could have . They we're covered I'm ok with cycling them . It's only about 25-30 lbs

I'd put them in a big bucket with a powerhead and heater and test parameters daily. The ammonia should rise on its own and begin the cycle. Good luck!!! :)

I'd put them in a big bucket with a powerhead and heater and test parameters daily. The ammonia should rise on its own and begin the cycle. Good luck!!! :)[/QUOTE

I have a power head in there but don't have a heater?
Is warmer then room temp needed to cycle rocks ?

It should be near the same temp as your tank so you don't shock the beneficial bacteria in the rock when you add it. But I'd say anywhere from 74+ is okay

It should be near the same temp as your tank so you don't shock the beneficial bacteria in the rock when you add it. But I'd say anywhere from 74+ is okay[/QUOTE

Thank you

That's sad. You could have easily found people to come and take them from you or even sold them.

But now you're going to have to cure the rock to make sure all the dead matter on the rocks stops putting off ammonia.

That's sad. You could have easily found people to come and take them from you or even sold them. But now you're going to have to cure the rock to make sure all the dead matter on the rocks stops putting off ammonia.

I kept half if the rocks and still have close to 50 of the mushrooms .
You want them ? Lol they are for sale .
I was asking at the LFS and he said he wouldn't pay for them but I could donate them to the LFS if I didn't want them .
I wanted the rocks !
I have them all in a storage tote being cycled .
Ammonia is currently at 20 ppm

Back
Top Bottom