Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-28-2004, 07:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Curing the rock

I bought some liverock yesterday but I want to cure it before putting them into the main aquarium. I read your article about curing the rocks and I have a few questions.
1. I can see some worms in the rocks, are you suppose to remove them?
2. How long before you can put them in the tank? When can you start seeing coral, if any?
3. Are you suppose to clean or scrub the rocks before putting then into the tank?

Old 03-28-2004, 08:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Re: Curing the rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlng3
1. I can see some worms in the rocks, are you suppose to remove them?
2. How long before you can put them in the tank? When can you start seeing coral, if any?
3. Are you suppose to clean or scrub the rocks before putting then into the tank?
1. If you have an exsisting tank that you are adding the rock to, yes, you can remove them by doing a hypo salinity dip. This will cause them to "jump ship" and then you can pick and chose which you want and dont want.

2. It depends on your definition of coral. If you are referring to "micro" coral (for lack of a better phrase) such as sponges, small feather dusters, and the assorted "micro" world that will eventually develop.....I would say your looking at 6 months to really start noticing growth. It is really an exponential situaion. One turns into two...turns into four and so on.

3. No...just put them in a rubber maid tub, limited light (3-4hrs a day) with a heater and a power head. Monitor the parameters and do water changes accordingly to help any remaining "critters" survive the cycle.

That help?

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 09:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks but what is a hyposalinity dip?
Old 03-28-2004, 09:32 PM   #4

No you don't and shouldn't remove the worms. They are beneficial bristle worms most likely...
Old 03-28-2004, 09:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Quote:
Some people will do dips in fresh water to try and remove pests such as mantis shrimp. Fresh water dips can often times kill beneficial life forms as well so I would suggest dipping the rock in carbonated water mixed to the same SG and temp as your tank.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I would suggest dipping the rock in carbonated water mixed to the same SG and temp as your tank.
Liverocks.com is saying this may not be the best solution. I would suggest since your not putting it in your display tank right away I would just put it in the QT, and watch it close to see if you got any unwanted critters. Like maybe seeing eyes from the inside of a rock. Then you could take futher action to get rid of the unwelcome guest.

Shoot, there was a thread about a mantis trap on here somewhere. Looked like it worked pretty good.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 11:17 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal-188
Quote:
Some people will do dips in fresh water to try and remove pests such as mantis shrimp. Fresh water dips can often times kill beneficial life forms as well so I would suggest dipping the rock in carbonated water mixed to the same SG and temp as your tank.

Hyposalinity does not mean fresh water.....it means low salinity. Fresh water means fresh water

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 05:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
now here is a question. i just got some rock and it has been in the q tank for about a week now and would like to add it to the main tank. should i wate till all levels are to 0 or just the ammonia? the ammonia has been at 0 for about 3 days now and the no3 and no3 not really at 0 but are working there way down. in maybe a few days they will be at 0 but i would like to have it in the main tank now. would it hurt any thing to put it in now?
Old 03-29-2004, 05:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think you meant no2 and no3. You should wait until the no2 levels are down to zero or almost all the way down.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 12:21 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
oh ya i guess i had a miss type ya i ment no2 and no3. but i only have to wate till the no2 are to 0? sweet they are falling fast and i cant wate to see all this liverock.com rock in the main tank after all the hermits and tubos clean it up. and see all the life on it after it sitting in the dark for a week.

Tags
curing, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com