Curiousity and possibly doing???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanS180

Aquarium Advice Addict
How hard would it be to convert my 180 gallon freshwater tank into a salt water??? I've always loved salt water fish but was always hesitant about starting up a tank.

I have to get rid of a bunch of my freshwater fish due to size and aggression so i figured I'd ask

Its hard, but definitly worth it. Problem
Is its also very expensive. You will need a few hudred dollar lights, a nice skimmer, sump, (you can keep your filtration), overflow, new sand, etc etc. lookin at easily 700-1K, and thats before you get fish and livestock.

Definitly possible though. Rehome fish and everything, and steralize tank, start saltwater cycle! Lol just need all the equipment first :D

Edit: if you do a fowler tank you dont need bice lights so its much cheaper :D also, the price rangs i estimated is if you get the right equpiment and dont take shortcuts.

Yeah that's what i was afraid of... money Hahaha... I would loveeee to do this, just don't know if I ever could, maybe a smaller setup would suit me, but I'm still stuck with my fw tank lol aghhhh I'm so torn on what to do, this sucks!!! Lol

Ya man it is a veryyy hard decision, but if you have the money and you take the time to learn everything saltwater is way better.

If you have the money and dont take the time to learn you will watch 20-60 dollar fish die very quick... It really blows.

I hope you make the right decision :D

Well I just witnessed my brand new $70 stingray die in a matter of several hours... last night... so i know that feeling and it blows lol :(

Ya it really does stink.... So its your choice! Maybe tell us more about what type of setup you have in mind if youdidnt go for the 180 reef? :)

Well I have a bunch of carnivores right now lol like river monsters, so if i got rid of all the really aggressive fish, I could go for a community/semi aggressive tank, well planted maybe. I'm just tired of some of the fish fighting for territory and whatnot, nipped fins, etc. I just want a calm tank now, which also sucks bc I do love all the fish i have now but its getting a little ridiculous lol

I'm new to it to, about 2 months in... I think it's pretty easy to start up especially w/ no corals, just gets a little tricky w/ them... way more money to start up, like said above a good skimmer is a must in a large tank and regular water changes, you don't need the 180lbs of rock but it's recommended over most if not all filtration and it gives places for fish to hide and coral.

But skimmer, rock, and if u want coral new lights are a must

Sorry wrote that when there was only like 2posts, lol

Mr. D said:
I'm new to it to, about 2 months in... I think it's pretty easy to start up especially w/ no corals, just gets a little tricky w/ them... way more money to start up, like said above a good skimmer is a must in a large tank and regular water changes, you don't need the 180lbs of rock but it's recommended over most if not all filtration and it gives places for fish to hide and coral.

But skimmer, rock, and if u want coral new lights are a must

Lol its okay, and yeah i think i might have to steer clear of this one, would just be too expensive for me... maybe I could start a small saltwater in the near future lol who knows

Back
Top Bottom