Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-27-2004, 01:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Curse of the clowns

I've killed a number of percs over the last few months and decided on a nice sized tomato about two weeks ago..... he was doing great... but....... last week one ich spot..... this week 4 ich spots.... I don't have a QT and I know I'm going to hear about that but... I gave him a quick FW dip tonight hoping it will take care of it.... I hate to kill a clown just to help the rest of my fish.... none of the other fish show signs.... I had this problem once before with a flame angel and got rid of it before it could infect the others...... we'll see................ I hate this..... I know I should have a QT... but it's always like......... well........ next time........

Old 11-27-2004, 01:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Killing the clown will not help (please don't). If the fish has been there for 2 weeks, then its in your system sorry to say.
I'm not one to lecture, made the same mistake myself a while back but....a qt tank is the answer. :|

Old 11-27-2004, 02:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Gotcha.... I just don't get it.... he's probably one of the most aggressive fish in the tank... yet he's the only one with ich..... I wouldn't think he's "nervous"......
Old 11-27-2004, 02:14 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The only reason I'm thinking of getting rid of the clown is because the longer it stays in there the more and more ich my healthy fish will have to deal with...... maybe I can see if the LFS would take it back for free........
Old 11-27-2004, 10:20 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
If you don't set up a qt, I would suggest giving him some garlic in his diet. If the ick is not progressing fast, the garlic could help his immune system enough to kick the ick by himself.

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 10:38 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I do not use a QT (yet) and here is what i have done. when adding my auriga, my coral beauty and the auriga both began showing a few white spots. I added a garlic product to their food and bought some cleaner shrimp. Within 1 hour of adding the shrimp, the fish were lined up to get cleaned. The shrimp did their job and the spots were gone in a day. I know QT is the best, but if you can't and the fish are healthy and eating, you might try the garlic and cleaners.

Good luck,
Jim
Old 11-27-2004, 01:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'll pick up some garlic today.... I was thinking of making my own food.... so maybe I'll just add it into the cocktail....... I have two cleaners.... we'll see.... he doesn't ever seem to have the spots for very long... I think he's either scratching them off or getting the cleaners to hook him up.... fingers crossed....... he's looking good this morning after the fresh dip... we'll see......
Old 11-27-2004, 01:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Unfortuanatly your in a cycle that will only be broken by full tank and stock treatment of ich. Although the other fish do not show signs, it is very present in your tank. Any futher additions, and eventually, probably your other live stock will get ich. Get out to Wally world and pick up as big a tank as you can afford, heater, filter, and pvc fittings and get ALL your fish in qt. Treat them with hypo or cupramine, a copper based medicine. Trust me it works! With all the money you have spent on deceased clowns, you could have a qt. Please do yourself a favor, and do this. You will battle this from here on, until it makes you give up the hobby. Godd Luck my friend.
Old 11-27-2004, 02:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks.
Old 11-27-2004, 02:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If I setup a new tank it's going to have to cycle.... any advice on cycling the tank quickly.... otherwise the fish might all die by the time I get them in there???????

Tags
clown, clowns

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com