Custom nano-reef tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacob Morgan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey!

I've decided to get back into the hobby. It's been around 15 years since i've had a salt water tank, must say lighting and other things have really changed. I remember as a kid dreaming of owning PC lighting, but knowing i'd never afford such things.

I'm planning to build a nano-reef setup. I had decided to use a Fluval Evo 13.5Gallon setup, as I felt the long design would give a much better landscape than most of the nano kits i've seen which are quite tall. Unfortunately it seems pretty much unavailable here in Sweden. While searching for it the local saltwater shop told me they can build a custom tank.

The other challenge is where to put it, or rather what to put it on. In addition to changes in the hobby over 15 years, I now have a significant other that needs to be onboard with this initiative:)

The best option i've come up with so far is two buy two of these:

HÄLLAN Skåp - IKEA

I'd stack them, with no legs. This would give me a 45x47cm surface area to put a tank on, and have it sit about 100cm off the ground. Fits within the area we've agreed on in the apartment. (65x50 was max dimensions)

What dimensions would you recommend for a custom tank? I am thinking 43x45x19(h) -- I think this give me around 10 gallon capacity. Would this be too shallow?

I've not made it to lighting/filtration yet, but if anyone has recommendations happy for recommendations. I'd prefer some clip-on type lighting solution, than a bulky canopy. My partner prefers a clean look to the tank without lots of plastic trim:)

As for stocking; I intend to keep corals primarily, and some invertebrates. Either 0 fish, or a single fish.

Is there any gotchas with having a tank custom built? Purchasing the accessories separately i'm fine with, in my head all tanks are just plastic/glass anyway so there shouldn't be any big concerns?

Appreciate any feedback!

Back
Top Bottom