cyano after 8 mo.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbro

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had my 55 gal set up for 8 mo. now and the warnings I had from people in here are coming true. I originally started with UGF, CC, on the advice of LFS. After joining AA, many advised me to tear out the UGF before I added too much. Well, I didn't listen and my tank parameters and algae were under completer control until I upgrade lighting about 2 mo. ago. I faithfully do 12-15 gal/wk WC with R/O water from LFS (have R/o unit ordered). Along with vacuuming.
With this outbeak though, I'm getting red slime covering my glass every 2-3 days. I've been treating with chemiclean, and it seems to be helping along with removing whatever I can. I really cleaned evey part of the tank now, and it still shows up.
I know I have to find the root of the problem. I'm pretty sure it's the UGF.
Here's the decision I need to make: LFS recommends slowly removing all the substrate, then UGF, and going bareback. A friend at work (who has been in the hobby for 20+ years) recommend I uncap the UGF and run reverse power filters. He claims this works great in his breeder tank and he has his set up to see underneath.
Should I start out trying the reverse flow method, or go right to the teardown? I need to do something SOON.

Sounds like a phosphate issue to me. I had an outbreak of red and that was the problem. Need to use a phosphate remover and figure out the source (food maybe). Just my 0.02$.

I was told to add a phosphate sponge, as "winter water" supposedly has less quality. What I need to do now is tear down with WC to completely eliminate the possiblity of UGF build up. I 'm going to go half now and half in a couple weeks. Thanks.

I feed once daily and have cut the amount down just recently. I took out one of the undergravel panels last night, followed by a 20% WC. Did not see any build up under the panel, but I feel better that it's out of there. I'm going to closely monitor water parameters for any spikes for a couple weks before I take out the other panel (which is where I think the worst accumulation is).
I had a clean up crew, 20 blueg hermits, 6 turbo snails, but lost about half the hermits and ALL of the turbos (twice). I also hace 4-5 brittle stars, arrow crab, neon gobi and a pistol shrimp that digs up the substrate. I just recently added 5 red-leg hermits and 10 astraea snails.
I think I'm going to be OK after the the next "big storm" of removing UGF plate.
Thanks for your concern. I'll keep you up to date.

Back
Top Bottom