cyano and kalkwasser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e-cat

Aquarium Advice Addict
iv read that kalkwasser will help reduce cyano, any one else hear of this?
i noticed some last night and a nit more this mourning and 12 hours later theres a lot. any tips? i turned up the skimmer, if kalkwasser helps what brand do you recommend useing?

The only way I could see kalk reducing cyano, would be it's PO4 precipitation qualities. Kalk has the benifit of precipitating PO4 out of solution and would reduce any PO4 that might be fueling the cyano.

ReefRunner brings up an interesting point about Phosphate. I currently use Aragamilk on my tanks, but always seem to have some cyano hovering around somewhere, and there's no other nutrient stack it can feed off of.

I'm thinking of trying Kalk simply because it's far more selective in terms of what it does than Aragamilk, not that the Araga product is bad. I'm just eliminating variables.

The buffering ability of any of these products are worth their effort in terms of improved tank health; fish or reef. Elevated Nitrate levels also influence cyano growth.

Back
Top Bottom