Cyano Question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arminkropp

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had my tank up for almost a week now and I can see that I have some cyano starting in the back two corners of my tank, pretty much under my PHs.
Seeing this is a new tank set up(yes Im using RO water) I assume that it should go away. My question is roughly how long should it take? I have 2 MJ 1200's in my tank pointing forward to the middle of my tank and slightly up to create water movement on the surface. Should I point them more down or just leave them.
Thanx all, I know newbie's are a pain sometimes. :roll:

The cyano is still being "fed" by something in your tank. This is probably in the form of phosphates. It can be overfeeding or a bad filter in your ro setup. You might want to add a di stage to the filter. As long as the phosphates are high it will not burn out and go away.

What does it look like? I had diatoms when I first setup my tank (brown algae on the sand glass and rocks, looks like total crud). It can take a few weeks until they burn out in a new tank. Just be patient. If they're still there at the end of your cycle then you'll have to start trying to figure out why, but with a new tank I wouldn't really stress much about it.

good point phyl- are you sure it is cyano or could it be diatoms? The diatoms are caused by silicates and will burn out on their own. Diatoms are usually brown and rub off the glass easily. Cyano can be many different colors but is normaly red and grows in "sheet" like layers.

Hehehehe :lol:
I was just testing my Phos. when I thought "diatoms"
Yes thats what it is...brown little here, little there.
You'll be glad to know that phos. is at 0.5 in my tank and the plain RO water tests at 0.
Thanx for the help in anycase. sorry about the screwup :oops:
again

Back
Top Bottom