Cyano removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmartin722

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have developed an issue with cyano I have been removing by hand when doing weekly water changes. Is there an invert that will help with issue?

I don't believe there is anything that will eat cyno. I would try and find the source, it's usually caused by excess nutrients. How much do you feed and how often? What's your filtration, tank maintenance, water changes - how much and how often? What kind of lighting and what's the schedule?

Iv had the problem literally for months and finally just got it to go away. It was definitely a battle but try to kill it while its in an early stage. I cut way back on feeding, did water changes twice a week, heavy skimming, constantly cleaned my carbon filter, sucked it out, added purigen pack (to remove some phosphates), and I hate to say it but I gave in and finished the rest off with 2 doses of chemiclean. Now I am not at all a promoter of adding antibiotics to the tank but to finish off that last tiny bit of cyano after all the hard work was worth it. I do however feel that the product is just a bandaid that only temporarily covers the problem. Also, I changed my old bulbs to LED lighting. I have heard old lights can promote the bacterial growth. I have no clue how reliable that info was but if I heard it worked I tried it and its finally gone so I must have done something right. The biggest thing is to know where you stand with all your parameters and to keep those in check. Dropping temperature a little and less lighting may also be an option that could help. The process was not fun but well worth the work goodluck hope this helped just a little!

I've had cyano in every tank I have ever set up at one point or another unfortunately. I use chemiclean and within 24 hours or so its gone. BUT you have to address the issue that caused it in the first place or it will return. Keep the water changes going, dont overfeed and ensure you have adequate flow in the tank. Rinse your frozen foods too before adding it to the tank, thats a great way to cut back the nutrients in a big way.

Thanks for the info everyone. I believe the source must be from the kreel I was dumping the water I was using to thaw into tank not thinking and noticed today that it was cloudy.

Back
Top Bottom