cyanobacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

craig_will2513

Aquarium Advice Freak
am i right in thinking that if i have cyanobacteria in my salt water tank its down to high phos and nitrate. i have a red covering starting to cover my sand bed and on some rocks. i did initially think it may have been coraline algea but now i know its not. and am i also right in thinking in order to get rid of the problem i need to remover both phos and nitrates.. next question is how do i do that is it with water changes untill its gone. also how long should i leave between each change. i also have some nasty brown fur like algea all over the back glass is this due to the high phos and nitrate also. and would removing phos and nitrate sort this algea to.. one more thing one i have phos and nitrate under control will the algea just disapear or will it need removing by hand. many thanks guys

It is due to high nitrates. Cut back on feeding and turn your day lights off an hour or two before you normally would. You could try siphoning it off. Just get it taken care of before it takes over.

cheers mate so once nitrate is under control it will stop growing and ill need to remove it manualy right ????? also i few water changer are needed so how long between each one should i leave. and iv siphoned a lot out already and its taken a lot of sand from the tank soif i was to get some more of the live sand from the shop can i just tip the new sand right in the tank

Back
Top Bottom