Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had cured rock. I placed three raw shrimp in my 120g since I did not want to add livestock and subject them to any sort of spike and really wanted to make sure I was on the right track. After I started that I placed my first fish in QT and waited it out.

I know waiting is brutal but done properly the wait will be worth it.

Steve

so, The shrimp should start the cycle? If it doesn't create the spike im looking for, what should i do. Add some fish?

you have to wait for it to decompose some. i'm sure you will see a spike. if you do not, i would add one fish at a time. research the fish you are considering and put the more aggressive in last.

Because I had mostly cured LR, some stuff would die, the ammonia spike really wasn't all that high. I waited until the shrimp was completely disintegrated and then started to add CUC and eventually the fish I had in QT. Test every day or every other day. You'll see a rise in each of the ammonia, nitrite and last nitrate. Then comes an algae bloom.

Steve

ok, so the shrimp was in there for 3 days before i removed it, the test results from that time was about the same as above. I then let cycle for 20hrs, and put a small damsel and four small hermit crabs in, to continue the cycle. now 24hrs hrs later i tested again, and the readings are showing 0 for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. also when i put the first and crabs in yesterday i over feed a little. not sure if the levels being at 0 is a good thing at this point? I think because i had the tank running with 15 lbs of LR and 50lbs of live sand, that it had already begun the cycle before i added the additional 25 lbs of LR. Thats why it didnt spike as much as i thought? does that make sense? any advise on whats next and how to know if there is enough bacteria in there?

I would wait longer than you have. You want the cycle to FULLY complete before you subject the livestock to "crappy" conditions. My raw shrimp was in there for three weeks. I then gave it another week and a few days before the first of the CUC went in.

did i miss what size tank this was? so you have 40 pounds of live rock. if this tank is somewhat large, you might not be able to see a spike as easily as ...say, 40 pounds of live rock in a 40 gallon tank.

well, that's not as big as i was expecting. you should be seeing something. did you check your test kit against another? try taking some water to the LFS and let them test it.

no, a bunch of crabs and snails doesn't help with a cycle at all. you need to build a bacteria colony to support what livestock is going to be added soon. this is done by using an ammonia source.

so the levels posted a page back arnt high enough to know, the live rock was in there for a few weeks before the shrimp?

If his tank is converting it faster then it's being produced then he won't see any levels... How deep is your sand?

Sand bed is about 3 TO 4 inches. and sorry the levels were in another thread.

ammonia .5 ppm
ph 8.0
nitirite .75ppm
nitrate 10. ppm
These were the levels 24 hrs before i removed the shrimp. When i removed it, they were about the same if not a little bit lower.

They are now a 0 all around, and the PH jumped a little higher?

if the ammonia and nitrite is no longer detectable, i would say you are over the initial cycle and can start slowly adding livestock.

thanks, im worried about the cycle, even though the levels above are as high as they ever got? Is there a way to know for sure the tank is cycling? Would adding a shrimp for a couple more days help it along? or bad idea? I do have the one fish and 4 little crabs? Don't want to hurt them?

Back
Top Bottom