Cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codyheitmiller

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I need to get a qt tank up ASAP if not sooner! I DO NOT want damsels because I don't want to put them in my dt after the cycle... Can I put my clowns I already own in there if I put live sand and rock from my dt tank in the new one? Also if I put some of my dt water in the qt tank?

Codyheitmiller said:
I need to get a qt tank up ASAP if not sooner! I DO NOT want damsels because I don't want to put them in my dt after the cycle... Can I put my clowns I already own in there if I put live sand and rock from my dt tank in the new one? Also if I put some of my dt water in the qt tank?

I do that very thing on my FW and I have an instant cycle in my QT. Seems to me if enough LR/sand is put in, it would work the same.

Depends what you're using your QT for. Is it for treating a ill fish or just getting a new fish?

For sick fishes, if you put any LR or live sand into the QT and depending on the chemicals you put in there, you can't put the rocks back in your DT. I know for sure copper shouldn't be used with LR.

If its just for quarantining a new fish, then sure you can move the LR back and forth. People usually leave an extra sponge filter to build up a bacteria's on there and when needed, they just throw the sponge filter into the DT. Just an advice for future use.

The amount of LR/LS you use is probably 1 lb per gallon to be safe.

Well I'm going to put a HOB filter I've been running in my sump for the QT tank and that should be fine

I would use the HOB filter to cycle the tank instead of the LR. If you're using the LR to cycling right now and then switching to the HOB filter, the filter might not have a large enough bacteria colony compared to the LR to keep the system stable.

Well found out I can't use copper with my flame... Guess ima try hypo treatment. So far only the flame, yellow tang, engineer goby, and cleaner wrasse have it.

My friend is letting me barrow his QT. but it's a 29g. I think it might be to small but sometimes u have to do things you don't want. Here is a picture of it.

Attachments

• image-3215446398.jpg
    image-3215446398.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 93
I hear you. How big is the tank you need to cycle? would it be big enough for what you have to do?

If you're friends tank is the best shot you got then you gotta do it. But the Bio-Spira is always an option for a last resort.

No. It's new. But doesnt matter. All the sick fish just died on me. The tang is still fighting though. I hope he makes it. Oh and the engineer goby is perfectly normal right now

sorry about the loss. on another note, you said earlier that you couldnt use copper because of the flame, but since its gone, maybe use it now to save the tang? I don't know very much about sick fishes so someone else would have to chime in for better details

I'm not buying anymore fish for a while. Just live rock. Good to invest in that stuff. And hard to kill

Back
Top Bottom