Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-15-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cycle

A week ago I set up a 40 gal saltwater aquarium with 50 lbs of live rock. After three days I tested the water. It contained 0 ppm ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite. I decided to add a dead shrimp to bost ammonia. I left the house for a few days, then I got back today and found no shrimp. I tested the water just now and still found no traces of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

My question is, did the cycle happen? Would you feel comfortable with adding inverts. What would you do?

Old 09-15-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you added live rock then this has excelerated the cycle,but to be sure add some fish food in the morning,give it a 6 hours and retest,take a water sample to your lfs if possible just to double check,if its still zero then add away.

David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by David S View Post
If you added live rock then this has excelerated the cycle,but to be sure add some fish food in the morning,give it a 6 hours and retest,take a water sample to your lfs if possible just to double check,if its still zero then add away.

So I did this test. My monnia, trate, and trite are still at 0. Am I safe to add my first crabs and snails?
Old 09-16-2011, 06:56 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had a very similar experience. I did a 44 gal corner with about 43 lbs rock. I saw a very small elevation in ammonia about .25 for about a week. No nitrites ever, and low nitrates(10). I've been told the live rock pretty much did what it was supposed to do. Just to be sure I went to two different LFS and was cleared by both to add away. By the way i had all kinds of critters in the tank during this mini cycle, including hermits, snails, and even a couple plate coral, amongst other things. All were fine and made it through.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks that really helps!
Old 09-16-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40galreef View Post
So I did this test. My monnia, trate, and trite are still at 0. Am I safe to add my first crabs and snails?
Yep Go for it.First fish as well!!
Remember if your not adding fish yet to feed the CUC.
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, keep in mind that I am new to this but....if you have no Nitrate, that would tell me that it has not cycled. If ammonia was present it could have been immediately turned to Nitrite which in turn could have turned to Nitrate but.....where did the Nitrate go??? From what I have learned, the only way to have gotten rid of the Nitrate is if you did PWCs. Therefore, no Nitrate, no cycle.

Tags
cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com