Cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seacat

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have just added live sand to my 20 gallon tank and was curious was the best way to cycle is? Ive been told to just put some cut up shrimp in and that will cycle it or should i just buy some lr and buy a couple damsels? Thanks for all the help.

One small to med sized shrimp will take care of it. I would go ahead and add the LR unless you intend to buy already cured rock from a local dealer. If you do intend to add cured rock, just toss the shrimp in and start checking ammonia levels. Add the rock as soon as the tank has cycled and nitrite levels are steady at 0.
If, however, you intend to use rock ordered online, you can use the rock to cycle the tank. You'll have enough die off with this type rock to take care of the cycle.

Thanks for the help i just put 2 kind of small shrimp in so ill go fish some of it out since you said i only need one...im not gonna be able to get any live rock for a couple weeks because of distance....but i might just order some from liverock.com

Back
Top Bottom