Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-06-2003, 10:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Cycle - Ammonia down, Nitrites sky high.

I started cycling my 29 gallon tank about 3 and a half weeks ago. After establishing a 4" DSB, I threw in a raw shrimp which stunk up the place after 2 weeks. It was a mushy mess, so I just took it out. At that point, ammonia was up at 3.0 mg/l and nitrites were off the charts. At the time, my pH was 7.7 and KH looked good too.

A week later, ammonia has dropped down to almost zero (which is good), but the nitrites still remain at very high levels. How much longer should I expect to wait to see the nitrites fall? I would imagine I should wait until both are at zero before I add cured live rock. Otherwise the organisms on the live rock would be killed?

ericsze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 11:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
it can take as long two months for the tank to complete its cycle. you just have to be patient with it. if the ammonia has fallen that much the nitrate should follow soon though, but you just never know. as for the LR, many people cycle their tanks with it. even it is cured it can still have some dieoff in your tank, especially if you buy it online or from a store thats not so local. its really up to you though, you. HTH

BBReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 01:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
My guess would be that within a day or two, your nitrites should fall. It seems once the ammonia bottoms out, then the nitrites soon follow, then the nitrates. Sounds like yourr close!!!

Woo Hoo, PAYDAY! Time to pay the LFS rent (even before I pay mine )

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 05:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to TriggerHappy Send a message via MSN to TriggerHappy Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerHappy
Same results here, been cycling about a month now, nitrites/nitrates to the MAX, ammonia low, when my nitrites spiked, my damsels bit the dust, hopefully it will level out soon...
--TriggerHappy --2003

Tank Setup
Setup 9/11/2003
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown
BiColor Angel
P-H 8.2 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 10-15ppm
Crushed Coral 60lbs
1 MaxiJet 1200 PH, 1 ZooMed PH, XP2 Filstar

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're going to feel all day."
Dean Martin.
TriggerHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

ammonia, cycle, nitrites

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com