Cycle began yesterday...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luke

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Water temperature holding steady at 78.

Have done two Ammonia tests since adding a chunk of raw shrimp. Yesterday, a few hours after i put the shrimp in, my Ammonia level was 0.5 ppm. Today, it is 1.0.

Since the shrimp has only been in there for about 24 hours, can i begin to test for Nitrite to make sure my cycle has began?

Oh, and the tank smells Terrific with the rotting flesh in there...
/end sarcasm.

haha

When i ran my cycle i tested everything when I started. Just so i can get a general idea of when the ammonia and nitrite peaked and began to fall back to 0.

When you see ammonia and nitrites go up and back down then you`ll know the cycle is none. Then you`ll do about a 40-50 % PWC to lower the nitrates.

Ammonia is worse than Nitrites. Nitrites are worse than Nitrates.

Bacteria eats ammonia (from fish waste) and creates nitrites. Bacteria eats nitrites and creates nitrates. Water Change is the best way to eliminate nitrates.

I see. Thanks for the information =)

I think i've only got one more question for the time being.

I added Aragonite along with the live rock yesterday, and discovered that i totally should have rinsed the stuff first. The bag said i did not have to, so i did not. The water got super cloudy and has since settled back down to where i can see through it, but some dust has settled on my view pannels, thermometer, and power head. How can i wipe this down and remove the dust, without stirring it up again/adding detergents to my tank? Should i use a cloth, or not i guess is what i am asking.

Should i leave it alone until my cycle is complete, then vaccum the substrate whilst performing a water change?

I found a hitchhiker today too =D A very small snail about the size of a BB is crawling around. At first i thought it was a rock stuck to the under side of the canopy frame. But when i looked real close i saw two antennae come out of it, then it slowly began to move around. He's a very light beige/off white color and is very very small. Any idea what he could be?

but nitrate is harmless
to a certain extent... you dont want high nitrates, so removing them after the cycle (as the reading is generally quite high because of the amount of nitrite involved) will help keep them manageable... high nitrates can kill fish just like nitrite and ammonia, it just takes a considerably larger amount

its a 100 times less harmless than nitrite. And its only harmfull in mass quanites so i wouldnt worry if your sitting at 5 to 10 ppm

I see. Thanks for the information =)

I think i've only got one more question for the time being.

I added Aragonite along with the live rock yesterday, and discovered that i totally should have rinsed the stuff first. The bag said i did not have to, so i did not. The water got super cloudy and has since settled back down to where i can see through it, but some dust has settled on my view pannels, thermometer, and power head. How can i wipe this down and remove the dust, without stirring it up again/adding detergents to my tank? Should i use a cloth, or not i guess is what i am asking.

Should i leave it alone until my cycle is complete, then vaccum the substrate whilst performing a water change?

I found a hitchhiker today too =D A very small snail about the size of a BB is crawling around. At first i thought it was a rock stuck to the under side of the canopy frame. But when i looked real close i saw two antennae come out of it, then it slowly began to move around. He's a very light beige/off white color and is very very small. Any idea what he could be?

get a brand new turkey baster and just blow it off of it. and nice you got your first of you CUC

you could also get away with getting some kordon amQuel plus itll remove ammonia nitrite and nitrate. i just wouldnt use the full dosage.

Back
Top Bottom