Cycle Beginning!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xkenneth

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i've just started cycling my tank, it's been about a few days now. I took the advice of the forum and threw in a piece of raw shrimp. Anyways, here are the test results.

PH: 7.6
Nitrite: 2ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm
Ammonia: 8ppm

How often should I be testing at this stage? Also, should I be worried about bringing the PH up yet? I haven't tested the specific gravity, but I know it should be close enough to where it should be. Thanks!

Sweet, I just started my cycle as well, but my #'s are a bit different.

Using the same shrimp method after about 1 day.

pH 7.8
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Ammonia 0

What size tank do you have?

You wont see nothing after one day. Maybe after a few like Ken. But for most it takes about a week to start. Both of you be patient and in a few weeks you`ll be on your way. Make sure you have cameras because I want to see some pics :)

Marc118 said:
Sweet, I just started my cycle as well, but my #'s are a bit different.

Using the same shrimp method after about 1 day.

pH 7.8
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Ammonia 0

What size tank do you have?

Hey, Marc. I just started my cycle yesterday as well. I'm doing a pure ammonia cycle along with some filter grime from the LFS.

I'll be testing tonight and I'll post my numbers.

I have a 225 tank with crushed coral and a fluidized-bed filter.

Man I wish i had room for a 225! Thats awesome, I cant wait to see it.

hmmm.....who needs a love seat anyways? LOL

Whats the dimensions?

Yeah, I'm pretty excited about it. I'm so awesome with my big tank! Ok, back to my humble self.

It's 6 ft long, 2.5 ft high and 2 ft wide. I wanted another 125 like I used to have, or a 150. Then this guy was like "How about a 225?" and the price was right. It really doesn't take up much more room that a 125 would have.

What are your plans for your tank?

A wee bit of reef, and a few fish. Ive only got 30g to work with...trying to moderate what i want, and what i can have.

Will my tank be cloudy for a few days? I havent cycled a tank in a few years.

They have these looooong and low acrylic tanks that i really like at the LFS. They have a 200g with stand, sump, 4 power heads, skimmer, ect.

If they still have them later on that is what i plan on running and using this 30 for a QT.

PH - 8.2
Free Ammonia - NH3 - 0.3
Nirite - 0
Nitrate - 0
SG - 1.020
Temp - 80

Hmmm. . . I think I might need to add more ammonia.

Mine is only a ten, and I know what you're thinking. Unstable. I'm really going to put alot of work into this little bugger. Once i convince myself I can handle this little tank, I've got a 75 sitting by I'd love to get going under saltwater. I've worked up plans in my head for a stand that contains a sump and quarantine inside the stand.

EDIT:

So in my initial fill up of the tank i used distilled water, which cost me a pretty penny since I was too lazy to drive an extra 5 miles and buy the 5 gallon jars instead of the 1 gallon containers. Anyways, i've just tested my tap water and the results are very good. O ppm on nitrate, nitrite and ammonia and PH is at about 8.4. I don't have a test kit for phosphate, can anyone suggest one? Also, is there any chance the PH in my tank is going to change over the cycle? Or should I just go ahead and order some solutions to change it? I'm really hopeful that i'll end up being able to use the local tap water. Thanks for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom