Cycle completed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

armyman16

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have had my 75 gallon up and running for about 3-4 weeks now and about a week ago my nitrites were very high but ammonia was still low and nitrates were 20-40 ppm so I didn't check them again until today and now I have:
Nitrites:0 ppm
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrates:10-20 ppm
pH: 7.8 (don't know how or why it's so low?!)

I haven't done any water changes only top offs and their is still diatoms on my glass and sand

Start doing water changes. I did during my entire cycle, I know some don't, seemed to work for me it also helps to put the ph back up by rlpenishing some of the elements in the water.

You need to dose up to 4ppm ammonia. If it and nitrItes go to 0ppm in 24 hours, then do big water changes to get the nitrAtes down and you are ready for your first fishes!

Should diatoms disappear on their own or will I have to scrape them off myself?
So would a 15 gallon water change be good enough to lower the nitrates?

So all I have to do is a water change and I'm good to go?

Yeah need to get more money before I can buy anything but when I do, can I start adding them?

Not positive if you should add them or not at this time, but that should solve the diatom problem from what I have seen from videos

I would do a water change and give it one more week. Do one more and test to make sure your levels are normal. I wouldn't start adding fish untill you stabilize your ph. I also would start with a few snails first. You have to slowly add livestock to allow for the good bacteria to grow which is what converts ammonia into nitrite, then nitrate and so forth. The longer you give your tank to grow the good guys the better off you are in the long run.

Gotchya, how can I raise pH? I'm having a low pH problem in my little 20 gallon as well..I have been dosing with API up in my 20 but I cannot raise it above 7.8? Any ideas?

armyman16 said:
Gotchya, how can I raise pH? I'm having a low pH problem in my little 20 gallon as well..I have been dosing with API up in my 20 but I cannot raise it above 7.8? Any ideas?

Congrats on finishing your cycle! The best way to balance ph is use a two part buffer system. Like B-ionic part 1 & 2 or Kent's super buffer and turbo calcium. Using products like these regularly will maintain proper calcium, alkalinity, and ph levels when dosed correctly. If you're in a pinch and really need to buffer some water, household baking soda can raise ph, but I don't recommend it for long term use.

Also test the ph of your source water, tap and ro/di water is usually low in ph. A good tip I do for my customers is I add buffer to their top off container so any water they add to top off the tank will already have a ph of 8.1-8.4. Just add the manufacturer recommend dose to the top off, stir until dissolved, and test ph again in 30-60 mins to double check. Make a note of how much buffer you add so next time you don't have to double check.

Hope this helps!

I have the Kent Marine Supperbuffer-dKH, will this raise pH levels? If it will I'll add some to both tanks right now haha

armyman16 said:
I have the Kent Marine Supperbuffer-dKH, will this raise pH levels? If it will I'll add some to both tanks right now haha

It will raise ph slightly, but best procedure is to do a water change and then add it. The super buffer works better at maintaining the level rather then raising it. Also, what kind of sand/gravel are you using in the low ph tank. Is it an aragonite based sand or silicate?

I'm guessing aragonite because that was the kind on the package, if I remember correctly...how does that change the pH?

armyman16 said:
I'm guessing aragonite because that was the kind on the package, if I remember correctly...how does that change the pH?

Aragonite based sands are Have calcium carbonate in them and are made from crushed coral skeletons and snail/crab shells. Over time the sand slowly breaks down and releases calcium into the water which helps to naturally buff the water. The reason i aks is bcuz People who use silicate based sands and no live rock usually have issues with maintaining high ph.

I have about 25 pounds of live rock in my 20 gallon and 20 pounds of aragonite sand mixed with 10 pounds of Fiji pink sand(not sure what base that is, silicate or aragonite idk!)
So add the buffer and keep dosing with API pH up?

Back
Top Bottom