Cycle conditions: what to/not to do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dansemacabre

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, my LR from liverocks.com arrives tomorrow morning! I'm very excited. Anyways, my questions. For the cycling process, should I run the protein skimmer? Should I run the lights(2x250w MH)? How often do you recommend I change the water? It's a 125g w/ about 100lbs. of base rock, and will only be receiving 30lbs. of LR and about 20lbs. of their LS. Opinions, suggesstions, facts, wellwishing, anything is more than welcome. ;)

For the cycling process, should I run the protein skimmer?

It wont hurt.

Should I run the lights(2x250w MH)?

On a reduced photo period. Maybe 5 hours a day and slowly work up to the full day period once the ccyle it complete.

How often do you recommend I change the water?

This is of great debate. Some will scream up and down never to change the water during the cycle. I personally avocate changing it when ammonia levels have reached a point that I feel the creatures in the tank are suffernig more than they are benifiting from the ammonia. Levels higher than .5 I would classify as being worth of water changing. By doing water changes during the LR cycle you will increase the amount of life on the rock that lives thru the cycle.

To add the live sand lower the sealed bag in the tank and then only after the bag is on the bottom should you open it and gently pour the contents out into the tank. This should limit the amount of cloudy ness teh water gets.

Yep...I agree 100%. The only thing I would add is...

As far as changing the water, look at it this way. The rock has living creatures on it that you want to keep alive right? How would a crab, or a fish, or any other living aquatic creature do in high levels of ammonia and nitrites? Not very well. If your just wanting to keep the bacteria alive and thriving...there is no need for water changes. If you want all the "critters" that came in on the rock (or as many as possible).....water changes are the only thing that will do the trick. I have never heard anyone from the "No water changes during the cycle" band wagon offer a valid argument that justifies killing off most of the critters in the LR.

Squishy

Oh, Dont forget a heater and a power head. You have to keep the water moving and you have to keep it heated if you want the "critters" to make it.

The LR is cycling the display tank, so the water is 81°F, the 2 powerheads and (starting tomorrow, as the cement will dry tonight) the return line from the sump. =] Thanks Squishy, and as always, fishfreek. I'm all geeked.

Back
Top Bottom