cycle done

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smnw10

Aquarium Advice Regular
It's been 21 days and my fishless cycle appears to be complete now. I never saw an ammonia spike but I was out of town for 5 of the first 7 days of the cycle, I have seen a higher reading and it's been at 0 for a week or so now. The nitrites spiked at 3 and just last night dropped all the way down to 0. My nitrates are at 20.

Is it time to remove the shrimp, do a PWC, and add a 1-2 fish?

From most of the posts I had read it seemed cycling would take longer than it has but I also noted that "every tank cycles differently"

Thoughts on if I should continue to let it sit as is for a few more days to be sure?

Depends if you cured LR during your cycle. You might have not seen much of a cycle if you did. 21 days seems kind of quick. I would go ahead and do a 33% PWC and then monitor for a few days with some water tests.

Primarily dry base rock from Marco Rocks with a couple pounds of LR from an established tank.

Leave the rotting shrimp in there or put a fresh one or two in? They're pretty decayed right now, I started with 3...about 90 gallons total water volume.

Just don't want to move to quick on this assuming all is well.

I would not add any more shrimp. Just see if your nitrifying bacteria can handle the load of the ones that are in there now. Keep on them water test.

24 days now, did the PWC and my tests are:
Amonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: ~10

I'll give it another couple days and then add my clowns .
I've got a 20 gallon refugium setup, at what point do I add the plants for that or anytime from now forward?

thanks for the help and advice

Your macroalgae can be added at any time. Be sure to add your CUC as you will more then likely get some diatoms in the upcoming weeks. Your readings seem to be holding and 10ppm nitrates is good.

Back
Top Bottom