Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2005, 07:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to reefmaster
Cycle for quarintine

I just set up my Quarintine tank (10 gal)last night, with a HOB filter and a heater. I put a cup of my live sand in thier from my main tank. Will this start the cycle? If not, what will, and how long will it take? Id like to get my Ich fish in thier asap, thanks

Old 02-21-2005, 07:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You don't need to cycle the tank and you don't want sand in there. Nothing should be in there that you want to put back in the main after the treatment period is over. If your fish has Ich just go ahead and put it in there and begin treatment. You'll need to stay on top of water changes. Any good bacteria will be toasted by the treatment process anyway.

I keep a new sponge in the sump of my main while the QT is not in use and then just take it out when I'm ready to use the tank for new fish.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 07:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to xahx
im doing a QT (40 gal) and i dont think its a good idea to start treatment until after the cycle of the QT...

Mine has been running with the ich fish in there for a week now, and i have done daily water changes,

If you are going to treat your fish, say with cupramine, you wouldnt want to have to change your water daily, you might upset the concentration of the medication.

Im waiting until my water is stable b4 adding the treatment, THe MAIn tank has to be fishless for at least 30 days anyway... might was well let the Qt cycle
Old 02-21-2005, 08:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Quote:
If you are going to treat your fish, say with cupramine, you wouldnt want to have to change your water daily, you might upset the concentration of the medication.
Actually cupramine will kill off most of your biological filter so water changes are more important than ever. You can keep the dosage stable my dosing and testing your change water.
Keep a qt bare bottom (pvc elbows for hiding) , use a seeded sponge like described above and rely on daily small water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite in check until your biological filter catches up with your bioload.
Bottom line... in a treatment situation, worry less about cycling and rely more on water changes.

Tags
cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com