Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-27-2010, 01:43 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Yes, you are just too impatient. Marco rocks are known for lots of dead material that will spike a tank. Just let it sit. The nitirites will come down and the nitrates will spike. It's the circle of life (in the Nitrogen cycle sense anyway).

You do not need to add any bacteria for this to happen. They will get there and grow.

DO NOT DO ANY WATER CHANGES! That actually will prolong the cycle time.

DO NOT TEST pH, Alk or anything but Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

When the nitrite finally falls to 0 and the nitrate is showing then you can do a 50% water change and start testing pH and Alk, etc.

How old is your nitrite kit?
You may want to take a water sample to the lfs to have them check it too.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:48 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ok. Same thing my wife has been telling me, I am too impatient.

My test kit according to the lot number is a year old. The lfs used a test strip and got the same results. I also have test strips, so I was fairly confident of the results.

Thanks for the quick response.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Nitrites are finally on the way down. Yesterday showed 1ppm and this morning was about 0.5ppm. I am hoping tonight it will be 0. It is beginning to look like we can take a trip to Wichita on Friday afternoon and get a couple of fish. Woohoo. I am wanting to start with a couple of clown fish, let that go a couple of weeks before I put anything else in there.

From looking around, all clown fish are not created equal (not the same). I am not sure what the fish store is going to have, I would like to get Ocellaris Clownfish if they have them. If not, are there other types I wouldn't regret getting as far as Non-aggressive and easy for first time SW fish?

Thanks for all the help and being patient with me, even though I am so impatient.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:01 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbkathri View Post
Nitrites are finally on the way down. Yesterday showed 1ppm and this morning was about 0.5ppm. I am hoping tonight it will be 0. It is beginning to look like we can take a trip to Wichita on Friday afternoon and get a couple of fish. Woohoo. I am wanting to start with a couple of clown fish, let that go a couple of weeks before I put anything else in there.

From looking around, all clown fish are not created equal (not the same). I am not sure what the fish store is going to have, I would like to get Ocellaris Clownfish if they have them. If not, are there other types I wouldn't regret getting as far as Non-aggressive and easy for first time SW fish?

Thanks for all the help and being patient with me, even though I am so impatient.
The A. Percula clownfish look very similar to the Ocellaris
Old 09-30-2010, 07:57 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

To me it sounds like the nitogen cycle hasnt completed yet, Basically during the cycling process, ammonia levels will go up and then suddenly plummet as the nitrite-forming bacteria take hold. Because nitrate-forming bacteria don't even begin to appear until nitrite is present in significant quantities, nitrite levels skyrocket (as the built-up ammonia is converted), continuing to rise as the continually-produced ammonia is converted to nitrite. Once the nitrate-forming bacteria take hold, nitrite levels fall, nitrate levels rise, and the tank is fully cycled!

Tags
cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com