Cycle is it done?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caco

Aquarium Advice Regular
Cycle is it done? --- More information!

Ok I have my Red Sea Max running since October 12. Saltwater from the ocean, live rock, aragonite. I add a raw shrimp on October 22...
My readings:

10.23...... Amonia 0.5 - 1.0 +/-........ Nitrite 0
10.26...... Amonia 1.0 .....................Nitrite 1.0
10.27...... Amonia 0 ........................Nitrite 0.25

My raw srimp disintegrated...so nothing else left.
Is the cycle done? Is it to soon to consider done? Do I have to do anything else?
Thanks once again

Until your ammonia AND nitrites are at zero... no, you're not done. I'm assuming from the numbers that your live rock was cured, or out of an existing tank?

I'll check about Nitrate and post it.
My live rock was cured..my point was I thought the amonia will be up the sky and nitrite for a week or so and then will start to go towards 0. But it's look like the amonia is already 0 after 5 days.
Thanks guys, and I'll check and post my readings.

If the rock was cured, you are probably reading a little bit of ammonia and nitrItes because the tank needed a tiny bit more beneficial bacteria. Once ammonia and nitrItes are 0, you can add a fish and some clean up critters. Any ideas of what you would like to add?

Problably I made a mistake but on October 20 I added 10 hermy crabs (small ones), 3 snails and 1 fire shrimp....the went all the cycle, but I'd like to have more ideas about it.
Do you think I should add another raw shirmp?

I wouldn't add another raw shrimp. Wait out the nitrItes (should be a few days) and do a PWC to reduce the nitrAtes and you should be ready to go.
If you want to be super sure, add a small pinch of flakes or food, wait 3-4 days and make sure there is no ammonia.

Ok...my readings today October 28

PH.........8.0 - 8.2
Amonia... 0
Nitrite ... 0
Nitrate 20

So ...do you guys call the cycle done? What will be the next step? Do I need more clean up critters? Any fish sugestion? As my goal it's a reef with fish..do you have any sugestion about reef to start?

Thanks a lot

Back
Top Bottom