cycle...is it done? almost done?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noelskii

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
how do i know if my cycle is done??? its been almost 2 months...it hasntt had algae growing on my rocks at all until the past 2 weeks when brown algae starts to grow on my lr. its jes on the rocks tho and none on the sand...i have 2 aquaclear 50 powerheads in there a wet/dry with bioballs and a skimmer...it is a fowlr tank for now...

How did you cycle the tank and do you have 0 levels for nh3/no2?

nitrate 0
nitrite 0
phosphate 1.5
ammonia 0

img_765912_0_bbd83bc47e1032c23111aebe8d98394c.jpg

img_765912_1_faa784fd7769be2e4c283bbc0c3f10c1.jpg

img_765912_2_c8a0733586face87d23dee389de603c5.jpg

img_765912_3_79165b85fd3cacc968d3fb1fec92c7ad.jpg

img_765912_4_63614e557e7918afb9b0e1fd92bbafce.jpg

Zero levels don't really tell us much, except that you're either at the very beginning or the very end of your cycle. But the zero nitrates kinda confused me. If you're at the end, you must've done some serious water changes.

I was going to ask how you originally cycled the tank, but then noticed your pictures. Either my eyes are messing with me, or you have three fish in the tank already. If your tank hasn't cycled yet, then it will soon. Keep an eye on the ammonia levels.

i used to have a 75 gallon tank...the sand, the rocks and the fish came from my old tank...i bought this 54 corner tank and instead of using the water from the old tank i used RO instead becuase i thought my old water was bad so i wanted to start out fresh...but i kept the old sand and rocks...and fish. 3 damsels, a huma huma trigger and a niger trigger...

Ahh... I see now. And I also see that I missed a couple fish!

If you just transferred your existing live rock and sand from your original tank to the new one - without letting it dry out in between - then you're probably OK and wouldn't see a cycle at all since the bacteria is still in the rock/sand.

Is this tank just going to be an "in between" tank until you get a bigger one? Just curious, as when I originally saw the Niger Trigger in the photo I thought that seemed like a lot of fish for a smallish tank. And now that I hear there's actually two triggers in there, yikes!

no i never let the the rocks or sand dry out. i placed them in a big bucket with the original water, heater and powerhead...and the triggers im still thinkin of what to do with them because id like to turn into reef...how will i know if my tank is ready for reef? and is it absolute necessary that i get rid of my bioballs if i turn to reef?

The bio-balls if not rinsed in old SW every couple of months can collect waste and build up your no3 but it appears it's not an issue so far. It would be better to gradually replace your bio-balls with live rock rubble which was already recommended.

Return the triggers and damsels to the lfs or give to a friend if you want a reef tank.

For reef you will need "reef safe" fish, a quality skimmer, and PC, MH, OR VHO lighting in the 300+ watt range depending on the kind of corals you want.

Getting your po4 levels closer to 0 ppm will also need to be done for a successful reef.

I was going to say also that to have a reef tank you`ll need to get rid of your triggers as they are not reef friendly.

so basically....to start my reef i jes need to get rid of the bio balls and get a better skimmer??
how should i place the lr rubble though? should i place it directly in the sump orr should i still put it on top of the grid (plexi wit lots of holes on it) so that the water still drips down to the sump? another thing...would it jes be much better if i make a refugium instead of using this wetdry with lr? can anyone give me plans for a DIY refugium using a 20g tank?

has anybody ever heard of hombby and his products on ebay?? good deals...
this is what im planning to get... link

Those are Odyssey lights which if you read the reviews are not the best. Especially the MH ones which have a nasty habit of catching on fire.

this ones not an odyssea... the jebo or odyssea ones go for about 240...

nice find kurt...ive been looking all over for this specific item to see if i can find reviews on it...so what exactly is the main problem with this fixture besides its brand?? like will it still allow me to grow the corals properly?

Back
Top Bottom