Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cycle length

I've started cycling my new 72 gallon bow front about a week ago. I used rock and sand that was already well established. Just wondering how long and how high of an ammonia spike I should expect from a fish in cycle and roughly how long should I expect it to last. The ammonia levels have risen to 2 ppm over the last few days but have dropped to zero today. Nitrites are zero and nitrates are 10ppm. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to h8z2luze Send a message via MSN to h8z2luze Send a message via Yahoo to h8z2luze
I did the same. The answers I have been getting are... You shouldnt have a big cycle but should still wait a couple weeks to make sure.

Hope this helps. I'm no expert but if your ammonia is at 0 and you have nitrates then sounds like your doing something right.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:17 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

When I started a 30 gal with well established LR and 2 damsels (it was either my tank or the porcelain bowl as the previous owner said). Amm only hit about .5 for a few days then dropped to 0 after a couple more. Within a week or so it was all done.
But you will have to be gentle on the tank. Make future additions SLOWLY. I'd give it a couple weeks too first.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the info. I'm going to give it atleast another week to make sure before I add anything.

Tags
cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com