Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2006, 11:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Cycle - Nitrates High

I started cycling my 75 gallon aquarium using live rock about 2 weeks ago. I just did a water test and got the following results:

ammonia: 0
nitrites: 0
nitrates: 200

Are the nitrates going to go down on their own or do I have to take some action here? I used RO water so I know they came from the cycle.

Old 09-01-2006, 07:53 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Nitrates won't really go down on their own, without something assisting their removal like a refugium. Only thing you can do is to do a few water changes. 50-60% at a time until you see them go down and stay down.

HTH. Welcome to AA!

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 08:20 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

How much live rock did you use? Sure it was uncured? I'd think the ammonia or nitrite should definitely be present by now in 2 weeks.

I'm not trusting your test kit or the rock was cured and there never was an ammonia source to get the cycle started. Didja ever see any in the 2 weeks at all?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 08:55 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

There was ammonia and nitrites when I tested last week. And the live rock was definitely not cured since it smelled awful when it arrived (after 2 days of shipping). I ordered 90 lbs from liveaquaria.com.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:59 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Just hard to imagine that sufficient levels were present and already back to zero in 2 weeks - implying the cycle is complete. How many lbs of LR?

How high did either reading get?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 10:46 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
I agree that your test kit is probably off. There is a very slight possibility that your tank could start producing no3 into your 2nd week but a 200 ppm reading is extremely high.

Nitrate test kits are notorious for being off if older then a year and usually give inaccurate readings that are very high. Even if you just bought the kit it could have been sitting on a shelf somewhere for over a year. I’d verify your results with the lfs and also buy a new kit from a different manufacture to be sure.

As Devilishturtles said multiple pwc of 50+% is the only way to reduce such high no3 numbers if they are accurate. Make sure you aerate and mix your SW for 24+ hours before changing though.

What was the highest nh3/no2 reading you have had so far and what is it currently?

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle, nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com