Cycle qestions????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superdave07

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is day 8 of my cycle

Am -0
Trite- 0
Trate-40
Ph- 7.8

Six days ago my ammonia was at .50 two days ago was at .25 an now its at zero. My question is what do I do now? what should the trates be at? why was the cycle so short, is that good?

How did you cycle it and what did you have in the tank? If you used stuff from established tanks the cycle would naturally be short. I'd give it another week with ammo and trites at 0 before I added any livestock just to be sure. Also, do a PWC to lower nitrates to under 20.

On day 4 with live sand and rock my am was at 0 so I added a shrimp and 3 days after my am went up to .50 so I don't think the shrimp had nothing to do with the am spike

So did the shrimp do the cycle or the lr and ls do it, because 6 days is fast for a cycle right?

What should my nitrates be at? I took out about 20-25% water out. when will the dust on my glass fall off? my sand has some brown on the edges whats that? Thanks

img_1394795_0_bd4d943cc61e250b7361d521ac7bb993.jpg
[/IMG]
img_1394795_1_66c8cf427a202458898a56c5910980a6.jpg
[/IMG]

8 days with enough live rock and sand is okay not unheard of like previously stated hold off a week looks like u have a good amount of nitrates to consitute a cycled tank.. nitrates so be as low as possible mine always run between 5 to 10 between water changes i've seen it as high as 20 with no ill effects on coral and fish... but how much depends on fish only or reef? With fish I've read 40 is the limit with reefs low as u can go... do another water change see if it gets any lowet

jsmith said:
8 days with enough live rock and sand is okay not unheard of like previously stated hold off a week looks like u have a good amount of nitrates to consitute a cycled tank.. nitrates so be as low as possible mine always run between 5 to 10 between water changes i've seen it as high as 20 with no ill effects on coral and fish... but how much depends on fish only or reef? With fish I've read 40 is the limit with reefs low as u can go... do another water change see if it gets any lowet

So I'm good, I plan on having some inverts and fish, then in about two months add some coral

Right away give or take a few minutes. Just make sure ur not stirring up ur subtrate. That will realase alot more all over.

If I were u go pick up the inverts this weekend.. and ONE HARDY FISH.. then space out one fish every 2 weeks to allow the bio load to catch up... you can pick up as many corals as you want they don't have a bio load like fish... I would and always do recommend a frogspawn...great looking under attinic lighting and hardy.

superdave07 said:
Leave them off, my bad

No..... leave them on full boar... only time id ever turn off my filters and power heads is when im spot feed my corals other then that they stay on.

jsmith said:
No..... leave them on full boar... only time id ever turn off my filters and power heads is when im spot feed my corals other then that they stay on.

Ok, when u think I can add corals?

As long has you have proper lighting right away...what lighting do you have?

Back
Top Bottom