Cycle QT/hospital tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After the cycle I will do 20-30% water changes daily for a week to ensure that the bacteria grow in the power filter.

The reason you do water changes after a cycle is to get your nitrate levels down. After you're done cycling, that's all you're left with... nitrates. There's no reason to do them for a week. When you stop doing them is determined by what nitrate levels you don't mind having in the tank. If it was me, and since nothing is in the QT to start with, after the cycle was over I'd do one big 80% water change or so and be done with it.

By the time your tank has cycled, the bacteria IS in the power filter - assuming you have a bare QT.

Other than that, what you wrote is what I'd personally do. Maybe others might have additional opinions.

On a side note... are we still talking the 75 gallon? Six chromis in a 75g seems like you're using a lot of your available bioload just on one type of fish. You won't be able to add many more fish after that. That's cool if you like chromis, but just wanted to point that out in case you haven't thought through your entire stocking list yet.

Also since most people have said the inches per gallon is outdated and ruled out.

How would one determine the max bioload for a tank?

Inch/gallon does not characterize waste, which is generally what a bioload refers to. Fish should be chosen based on physical and behavioral differences along with regional considerations based on habitat, depth, locomotion patterns, and territorial boundaries. Most often the three major things to consider are: Long-term growth, territory, and locomotion patterns.

I personally do not see you being limited by adding 6 chromis to a 75g, but that is just my opinion (you know what they say about opinions).

ok i guess when my QT and DT are finsihed cycling ill post what i want

and together :invasion: we ...

...can help me decide

Thanks agian everyone.

It kinda started out as a sick fish topic (about the QT and previous sick fish) so I left it. It has since taken a different turn and then back to the QT, so if one of the other mods thinks it should be moved feel free, but you do have a good point Marc.

when running the HOB penguin filter, should i put the carbon filter in or leave it out?

when running the HOB penguin filter, should i put the carbon filter in or leave it out?
Depends on what your talking about.
You dont need carbon in your filter for normal operation. Most just use it after they medicate the tank, then use the carbon to remove the medications. Carbon is only usefull for like 7 days, then its mostly used up.

What size tank are most of you using for your QT?

Also, on the bioload question, those of you calculating mostly on the inch per gallon method are you counting the water contained in your sump/refugium as well?

Back
Top Bottom