cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kfig7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Recently started a new 90 gallon tank. Been setting it up for over a month now and while doing this I started to cycle a 20 gallon tank. I used 2 pieces of shrimp and the cycle has been finished for about a week now. I was planning on adding sand and dry rock to my 90 tonight. If I add everything from the 20 gallon (filter media, sand, 5 pieces of live rock) to the 90, how would I go about cycling now. Will it be safe to add 2 fish or should I put another few pieces of shrimp in there and give it a few more weeks?

I think if it were me I'd put another piece of shrimp in and just watch how it does. With the stuff coming out of the 20 being so freshly cycled, it won't take long at all, and that'll also give it a little time to seed the new dry rock and sand you're putting in there.

I would not add any fish. Make sure your tank parameters are stable before adding any fish. It might be that your already cycled tank cant handle the added LR and die off.

Back
Top Bottom