cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bootz

Aquarium Advice Freak
so i have been cycling for about 1 week with CC. After reading many threads warning against using CC i have decided to pick up sand. DO i have to start all over again? or can i simply remove the CC and add the Sand and continue with the cycle.

yes dry sand, should i rise it in a bucket with warm water, do i let it sit, and do i have to start over from scratch? thanks

I've seen several people recommend putting the sand in a pillow case and running water through it really well.... I've always just put the sand in a bucket, fill it up, run my hands through it, rinse, repeat many times. I understand the pillow case method to be much easier, though I have no first hand experience.

i'm partial to mfdrookie's method (because a pillow case just sounds like it would take forever) ......
img_1222770_0_2d1bb87b17722b7b89f1c3c221cecee7.jpg

no starting over. you are simply adding more surface area at this point.

thanks guys i will start rising it now, Btw i just got home and my tank is foggy for some reason it still has the CC in it why would this happen now?

you could put the sand in the pillowcase and then put it in a full bucket of water, pull the pillow case up and let it strain, then do it again. if the water is to dirty change it and do it soem more

yeah, but i am not sure if detergent is still in the fabric, plus, that's awful fine....i think i would want something with slightly larger holes than a pillow case..i dunno.

its possible that there could still be detergent in the fabric i agree, i didn't rinse my sand when i put it in the water was really cloudy but my filters seemed to do a good job of suckign all the dirt up over night

well i wound up just putting the sand in the bucket and running extremely hot water i stirred it up with my hand then after repeating it a few times i drained it and put the sand in my tank with the dry rock i purchased yesterday. My tank is still very murky ill post some pictures.

Back
Top Bottom