cycle question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ohio reefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
i'm 4 days into my cycle process. i have 2x 65 watt actinic but no MH yet (money, will get next pay period). should i go ahead and turn on my actinics as though they are my main lighting? or should i go ahead and leave the lights off?

i'm using 3 raw shrimp for a 120 gallon aquarium, no protein skimmer yet(same situation)

thanks

mark

I would turn them on. Keeping your tank in the dark will only kill off the photosynthic life. Your coralline will be the first to go.

Oh..my bad. Sorry about that. Then your good either way. Light isnt going to play a factor in cycling the tank, and leaving them off will cut down on the nuisance algae growth.

If you plan on adding LR you are probably going to start a new cycle. Now is when you should it. Or not! :wink:

hey dayton ohio we need to get together.I am cycling my 55 as we speak also.I got the spot for all the goods too.If you dont know where gerbers is yet?Drop me a email if you wanna bs or just make a local salt buddy.

kidkameleon3@yahoo.com

As far as the LR starting a new cycle. It will if you cycle it in the tank. The easiest way to do it is to put it in a rubber maid tub w/ a power head and a heater. Cycle it and toss it in the tank.....No worries! :mrgreen:

Are you planning on putting live rock in at all? If so you should get it asap so you can lay it on the glass under the sand for more stability. j

ok, sixth day into the cycle ammonia still has not peaked. but i'm noticing some brown algea growing on the sand. good? bad? is that normal. i have no lights running at this time. it could possibly be from outside light.

any suggestions?

TIA

mark

The algae is normal, How high if you ammonia? If it's not above .5 to 1 then I would suggest getting some snails to start working on the algae. Oh and you need to run your lights. The living stuff on the rock needs light also. :D

Back
Top Bottom