Cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TerraAimee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone. I'm at the end of my fishless cycle and my ammonia and nitrites are dropping to 0 within about 30 hours now. With my nitrates around 80ppm or higher. I thought I would see an explosion of diatoms by now. Should I keep dosing until I see an outbreak?

I originally was forced to put my live sand and mostly dead rock plus some live in totes before I set this new tank up. It was in there for about 3 weeks. I believe it cycled in there first. (I wasn't keeping a great eye on it besides for water changes toward the end....bad bad I know! )Would this cause me to not have a large outbreak? I mean, i see a slight coating of brownish color but nothing insane.

I also don't have my lights yet (on their way!) So I'm not getting the full effect. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Diatoms usually come during the cycle but if your not running any light it makes sense that you haven't had any. They may come they may not. Your cycle sounds like it's complete so you should be free to do a few big wc's to get your nitrates down and you should be good to go

Excellent. Just in time for the rest of equipment to get here. Thanks!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom