Cycle question can it be true?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bavass

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am on day 11 my Ammonia spiked at 2ppm+ and Nitrites have spiked at 5ppm+ last week. On Thursday before leaving town I did an Ammonia test it was zero, Nitrites were about 2ppm I added a second handful of Freeze Dried Krill. When I returned on Sunday Ammonia was back to zero and nitrites were at .25ppm. Tonight I get home and Ammonia is zero and Nitrites are zero. PO4 is at 12ppb on Hanna 736 .03ppm and NO3 is about 5ppm. I used all dry rock no live no live sand. I did add Brightwells MB7 daily. Can my tank really have cycled in 11 days?

Absolutely.... mine did it in 12, without any additives like MB7. I used Real Reef, which is manufactured rock, and had never been live.

Just hard for me to believe. My first tank took 6-8 weeks! I am going to add more Krill and give it a few days, probably will go ahead and start getting ready for a big water change this weekend. After the water change I will cut lights on and start getting the temp balanced with lights on give that time to start building a little algae then add a few snails and hermits to get sand bed ready for fish. Then I will bring calcium and alk to what I want and start balancing the tank out.

Trust me, I couldn't believe it either...... I'd never had a tank cycle that fast. I did the raw shrimp method, left it in for a few more days just to be sure, and saw nothing but nitrates rising.....

It can happen. My 2nd tank cycled in 11 days because I used some rock and filter media from my reef. Congrats!! Time for PWC and fish!! Yay!!

I knew the MB7 was good stuff from when i was vinegar dosing didnt think it would help cycle a tank that quick

Ok so here are all my results.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
PO4 .049ppm
NO3 2ppm
Magnesium 1200pm raising it to 1320ppm
Calcium 430
Alkalinity 8.5
Salinity 35ppt
PH 8.0
Temp 78

That's the problem I have with bottled bacteria. Your nitrates are only 2 ppm AFTER a cycle. That shows you don't have much bacteria on your rocks.

An ammonia spike of 2 isn't ideal, but it's better than some I've seen listed on this site. I would just take it extremely slow when adding fish. 1 at a time and 2-3 weeks apart to allow more BB to build up.

I wont be adding fish for weeks yet. I will be adding a few snails and hermits to prep the sand bed then will be adding fish after QT for a fee weeks. I have added an ammonia source (shrimp) on 2 separate occasions over the last week and ammonia will not rise anymore than zero i tested after at 2, 6, 12, and 24 hours after introducing it

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom