Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-14-2005, 03:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to Morticus
Cycle readings.. how close?

I just tested my tank 11 days into the cycle and the readings are as follows:

ph - 8.2
temp - 78
SG - 1.025
Alk - Normal
Amm - 2.5 (I tested 4 days ago and it was 3-4.)
Trite - >25 (off the charts)
Trate - >50 (off the charts)

I'd say this was the peak of my trites, how long do I have?

Another thing, when I drop a couple shrimp in there they are gone within 3-4 days so I add more. I've gone through about 6 shrimp, is this bad? I am just starting to see diatoms.

I have an unidentified sand colored little crab in there who hitchhiked with the ls, I'll try to post a pic.

55g cycled. 15g sump, refugium, lr rubble, mag 7, Maxi-Jet 1200. 36lbs hirocks.com, 20# keys 20# gulf lr.com to arrive on Wensday!

1.0 Albino Burmese Python
0.1 California Kingsnake
0.1 Ball Python
0.1 Amelystic Corn Snake
Morticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 04:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
There's no way to say. Sometimes it takes 3 weeks to cycle a tank, sometimes it takes up to 8 weeks.
Just don't get impatient and rush things, or you'll set yourself up to fail.

Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 08:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
You need to wait for the Ammonia to go to zero before testing for nitrite. When it does then test your nitrites till they go to zero then test for nitrate. High Nitrites produce false positives for nitrates.
As malkore said just be patient.
EJS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 09:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Oh yeah I would not add anymore shrimp. All you needed was enough to get the cycle started. You want the bacteria to breakdown all the ammonia so you know you have established a colony of bacteria. If you keep adding ammonia sources you make the process last longer because you'll need to grow more bacteria to keep up with the ever increase sources of ammonia.
EJS4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com