Cycle readings.. how close?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morticus

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just tested my tank 11 days into the cycle and the readings are as follows:

ph - 8.2
temp - 78
SG - 1.025
Alk - Normal
Amm - 2.5 (I tested 4 days ago and it was 3-4.)
Trite - >25 (off the charts)
Trate - >50 (off the charts)

I'd say this was the peak of my trites, how long do I have?

Another thing, when I drop a couple shrimp in there they are gone within 3-4 days so I add more. I've gone through about 6 shrimp, is this bad? I am just starting to see diatoms.

I have an unidentified sand colored little crab in there who hitchhiked with the ls, I'll try to post a pic.

There's no way to say. Sometimes it takes 3 weeks to cycle a tank, sometimes it takes up to 8 weeks.
Just don't get impatient and rush things, or you'll set yourself up to fail.

You need to wait for the Ammonia to go to zero before testing for nitrite. When it does then test your nitrites till they go to zero then test for nitrate. High Nitrites produce false positives for nitrates.
As malkore said just be patient.

Oh yeah I would not add anymore shrimp. All you needed was enough to get the cycle started. You want the bacteria to breakdown all the ammonia so you know you have established a colony of bacteria. If you keep adding ammonia sources you make the process last longer because you'll need to grow more bacteria to keep up with the ever increase sources of ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom