Cycle started?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

degbowl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am into day 3 of my new 30 gal tank. I put in 30lbs base rock and 15lbs LR, 30lbs Aragonite sand. I have not added anything else. Here is my test results for today.
salinity 1.021
PH 8.3
Nitrate 20
Nitrite .3
NH3 .3

I think the LR started the cycle. Will it be enough or will I still have to add something else to start cycle?

It couldn't hurt to throw a shrimp in there. Also, you don't need to waste time and tests testing nitrates right now. Until your tank is nitrite free it's going to give you false readings for nitrates...

I just started my 29 yesterday... I'm going to throw a shrimp in tomorrow as I wait for my LR I think, hoping to get a head start, if that is possible with out my LR in there...... I say throw a small cocktail shrimp in there to make sure, that way you KNOW you have enough to get your cycle going and it won't drag on and on and on..... :)

What are you planning on stocking in your 30g? I am curious... I can't seem to make up my mind. I'm thinking 2 percs, a pearly headed jawfish, a clown goby, a cleaner shrimp.... clean up crew and 40 lbs LR :) That's today anyhow.

2 percs, a royal gramma, a yellow watchman goby, clean up crew. I bought 30 lbs base rock from hirocks.com and bought 15 lbs LR from LFS. I will probably buy one other small fish. I just don't know what. What are you getting for a clean up crew? It looks like the best deals are online.

How much should I test? Is every other day ok? I know the cycle won't be done this quick. I don't see a reason to test every day.

I tested once a week until it was near the end ( about wk 6), then i couldnt help bu test 2-3 times a week until it was done, lol.

day 9
SG 1.024
ph 8.5
Nitrite .3
nh3 .6

I am getting plenty of algae growth on rocks and sand bed. I guess that is a good sign.

Degbowl,
Is the LR cured or not? I would not test for NitrItes until you see your ammonia spike and start to drop. If your LR is cured then I think you will need to keep the ammonia levels as well as the nitries low as to not harm the life on the LR.

Good Luck,
Brian

Degbowl, I have been thinking about 2 percs, a pearly headed jawfish, a clown goby, a royal gramma and a cleaner shrimp... Thats my plans today... who knows...may change tomorrow or the next day ... LOL... I saw a fellow AA reef members tank in person and they have a very cool clown goby perching from rock to rock... you ought to think about one.. they are wee little too... little on the bio load LOL.

Are you happy with your hirocks order? Got a pic? I am thinking about ordering... I bought 30 lbs LR from my LFS but they are 4 larger pcs.. I need some smaller to build and aquascape.. I think I will get a box if the pcs are small enough to shape my "reef".

I *think* I will order off line as well... I havent shopped prices... but I want a nice size clean up crew What are you thinking?... 10 snails 15 blue legs I'm guess ing ... but my crabs always eat my snails...

If you order the cheaper box from hirocks.com then you will get the smaller pieces. I bought the other box with larger pieces. I bought from them off ebay. It was cheaper than buying from website. That was for the box I bought. You might be better off ordering from website. I put the baserock in first then put in the sand. Then I put the LR on top of that. The LR has algae all over it. The baserock was nice but not as colorful yet.
I was trying to get ideas for a clean up crew. I was thinking along the same way as you.

If the lr was cured then you will need some source of ammonia to cycle the tank. The lr should have beneficial bacteria on it so the cycle should go fast. If you don't "feed" the bacteria it will die and you will effectively have uncured rock. I would test the ammonia, sg, ph and nitrites since you are showing some. You may not see a large ammonia spike since the rock is cured. Watch for the ammonia to drop to zero. A then I waould start to add the nitrate test. This should move along quickly so I would test every other day for now. Other opinions may vary from mine.

Good Luck,
Brian

SG 1.024
ph 8.5
nitrite .3
nh3 .3

Still waiting for ammonia spike. I am getting plenty of algae growth and my skimmer is getting some yellow skim mate.

Back
Top Bottom