cycle started erarly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

choupic

Aquarium Advice Activist
I think my cycle was started before I add some live rock in it today. Is that a problem? Water has been in tank with live sand for 11 days.

test results today 4/26/2006
ph 8.3
nitrite 0.1
sg 1.024
nitrate 5
ammonia 0.3

Its a 55 gallon tank with
100lbs live sand
80lbs live rock (40lbs added today receiving the rest tomorrow)
2 seio 820 super flow powerheads
aqua c remona (regular)
2 water heaters
factory lighting 2 15watt (not getting corals till later)

When do I start putting in a clean up crew before I add fish or after?

Should not be a problem. Looks like a really small cycle. You can put the cleanup crew in anytime after the cycle has finished and your water parameters are OK.

cycle updates
04/27

sg 1.021
ph 8.4
no2 nirtite 0.3
no3 nitrate 5
ca 300
iron 0
ammonia 3.1

4/30

sg 1.021
ph 8.1
nitrite .8
nitrate 20
ca 440
ammonia 3.7
iron 0
kh 190

My cycle must be working.

ethan%20002.jpg

choupic said:
Does the shrimps shell disappear when the cycle is over?
I peel the shell but you can either remove it when done or leave it for your clean up crew which will take care of it.

cycle as of today 5/4/06
sg 1.022
ph 8.2
nh2 ammonia .03
nitrite .01
nitrate 5
ca 400
kh 160
po4 1.0

Cycle might be done for this weekend.

cycle update 5/07/06

sg 1.023
ph 8.5
ca 420
kh 210
nitrite 0.1
nitrate 5
po4 phosphate 1.0
ammonia 0.3

I have 2 small pieces of shrimp left in tank and levels have been down for a week.
Can I do a 50% water change the check levels. If they are the same add a clown or a shrimp.
Its a 55 gal with 80lbs live rock and 105lbs of live sand.
tank%20002.jpg

tank%20005.jpg

Seems like things are going well for you. Just take your time and be sure the cycle is over before adding anything to the tank. Don't want no problems to occur ;)

Tank looks great!

Ok after 50% water change and levels are ok can I add a clown, shrimp or emeral crab or can I add all three ?

And do I leave the pieces of dead shrimp in the tank?

Plan to do the water change tommorow and add something on thursday.

Once your nh3/no2 is completely at 0 I’d add the clown after doing a good acclimation. For the shrimp and crab I’d hold off for another month or two to give your tank a little more time to stabilize. Hermits/snails are a little hardier and could be added though assuming you give them a good 2+ hour drip acclimation.

Tanks is looking good, just go slow and you will be fine. As for the shrimp if you have any part of it left I’d remove it, no sense in adding to your no3 at this point.

As long as you don’t have any detectible trace of nh3/no2. Did you remove the leftover shrimp or has it completely dissolved?

Back
Top Bottom