cycle tank without the use of fish ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LIMentality420

Aquarium Advice Regular
Has anyone tried to cycle there tank with the grocery store trick ? Putting 1 to 3 shrimp from a grocery or seafood store in your tank and letting it give bacteria to your tank. I think i might try this when i set my tank up. If anyone tried this please leave some results...

LIMentality420 said:
Has anyone tried to cycle there tank with the grocery store trick ? Putting 1 to 3 shrimp from a grocery or seafood store in your tank and letting it give bacteria to your tank. I think i might try this when i set my tank up. If anyone tried this please leave some results...

A frequently discussed topic here at AA. Try a search for more info & check this out:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

Most people here recommend this method as it is effective and more humane than forcing fish to live through the toxic cycling process. It worked great for me. Use raw shrimp.

Thanks, I went there before I posted this. I was courious of anyone elses results from trying this. What tempature should the water be when I do this ?

We are just finishing up cycling with 2 shrimp in a 55. It has worked very well for us. Everything is at 0 except nitrates at 20. We started about 2 weeks ago so we're very happy with the fishless method.

We bought some raw shrimp for stir fry that was already deveined and deshelled. We ran ours with everything on....HOB and PH....

A couple newb questions: What is the purpose of using 2 shrimp vs 1? Any evidence that 1 shrimp is insufficient for >Xg tank? It seems to me unless you add a large number of fish right after the cycle (which is probably a bad idea in general, better to add slowly), part of the bacteria pop from even 1 shrimp's worth of waste will die back once you begin adding fish. I guess it depends on how much you plan on feeding your tank, predator vs non-predator tank, etc.

Second, thanks to advice on a couple other threads, the use of LR and LS means an additional cycle with shrimp is unnecessary. Uncured LR will give you enough waste to get your tank started (using only cured LR and you may have a working filter going off the bat without ever seeing a cycle). Again, as long as you add fish slowly, you should be fine. Opinions?

My newb understanding of all this is that tanks aren't really cycled or uncycled. Rather, a new tank is sterile - with denitrifying bacteria absent from your filtering media, and non-sterile - bacteria are present. The actual population size of this bacteria depends on the ammonia input to the system. While it can take weeks for sterile media to begin getting populated, the bacteria population will also take some time, albeit shorter, to respond to increasing ammonia input. This is why you might see a mini-cycle in a supposedly "cycled" tank when you add livestock (more correctly, add more food to feed the greater amount of livestock). Thus, the main point of adding shrimp is to provide an ammonia source during the relatively long period of bacteria immigration. Using live rock, you already have the bacteria population, and thus no need to provide an additional ammonia source of dead shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom