Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2006, 05:08 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Please read post above... however quick update - i've just re-run the tests...

PH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0 (woo!)
Nitrate: 160
Salt: 1.022
Temp: 25.5C

going by what everyone has been saying, the cycle is complete... its taken 3 weeks to the day.

AH-99P

Old 02-21-2006, 11:51 AM   #12

I have spoken to the LFS and they suggest a large water change and / or some nitrate feeding algie... what do you guys suggest?

AH-99P

Old 02-21-2006, 02:00 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Seems like an awfully high no3 reading. Have you had your lfs test it as well? Personally I’ve never seen a no3 reading above 40 ppm when cycling a FW or SW tank an typically it’s <20 ppm.

Do you have any idea how old your test kit is? The AP kits in particular are known for showing a high reading for no3 with age. Look for an expiration date. Also do you know what your source water no3 level is? Do you use distilled, ro or ro/di water?
Old 02-25-2006, 10:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecwzrd
AP kits in particular are known for showing a high reading for no3 with age. Look for an expiration date. Also do you know what your source water no3 level is? Do you use distilled, ro or ro/di water?
Thanks for the reply, I am actually using the AP test kits... and I can't find an expiration date on the packet mind . I have no idea what the source of no3 is... I do use ro water from the LFS.

I performed a 50% water change this evening... I'll update the thread with updated results tomorrow... I'll also look into getting a different make of test kit... are there any recommendations?

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:40 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
The AP kits are fine for ph/nh3/no2/no3 as long as they aren't expired. I like the Salifert tests but they are kind of expensive. I use ap for most tests but use salifert for kh/alk/ca/no3. I have a red sea tests as well but personally don't care for them much.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecwzrd
I use ap for most tests but use salifert for kh/alk/ca/no3.
Today I got a salifert no3 test kit... the result comes out at a colour between 25 & 50... which either way is still far too high (from what i've read)..!!

Tags
cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com