Cycle Update (Advice Please)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AH-99p

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, almost 3 weeks ago i started my cycle with a prawn...

After taking advice from those on the forum, i performed a 20% water change (taking water from the bottom of the tank) last night to try and lower my high nitrate levels... today, my levels are as follows:

PH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0.25
Nitrate: 160
Salt: 1.022
Temp: 25.5C

The only change i can see as a result of the water change is the PH being lowered from 8.2 to 7.8... and my salt level being restored to a better level.

With regards to the nitrate levels... someone please help me lower them.

Many Thanks!

ur cycle is still in the process but i believe its almost over

Excellent!! What do i need to see to know the cycle is complete?

A friend has offered some snails and hermit crabs, how much longer should i wait before thinking about adding these to the tank?

Many Thanks!

melosu58 said:
I agree that the cycle is in progress. Be patient you`re almost there.

everyone keeps saying that... but what should i be looking for - what do i need to see?

Excellent - I'll keep an eye on the levels. I am still concerned about the high nitrate level...

No need to worry about the high NO3 levels. Once NH3 and NO2 are at ZERO, you will see a dramatic spike in NO3. Once this happens do a large (40-50%) water change. I would be leary of adding any snails or crabs at the begining. They are scavengers and the needed food source will not be there yet. If you want to add some crabs and feed them that is okay, but I would not add any snails yet unless you have some algae in the tank. If you have a fish list picked out you can add ONE of the hardier fish from it and see how things go. Monitor water parameters daily and keep plenty of prepared SW on hand for waer changes. How big is the tank, do you have any LR?

Hi there,

The tank is 35Gallons... there is currently 15Kg of live rock in the tank. With the liverock came loads of snails and so on... and the liverock over the time in the tank has become covered in algie which i believe the snails that are in the tank are currently feeding on... i have also recently noticed them moving to the glass at night.

If i were to add crabs - what should I use a food source - i obviously want to keep the tank as healthy as possible.

Many thanks for the help.

AH-99p :)

Please read post above... however quick update - i've just re-run the tests...

PH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0 (woo!)
Nitrate: 160
Salt: 1.022
Temp: 25.5C

going by what everyone has been saying, the cycle is complete... its taken 3 weeks to the day.

AH-99P :)

I have spoken to the LFS and they suggest a large water change and / or some nitrate feeding algie... what do you guys suggest?

AH-99P :)

Seems like an awfully high no3 reading. Have you had your lfs test it as well? Personally I’ve never seen a no3 reading above 40 ppm when cycling a FW or SW tank an typically it’s <20 ppm.

Do you have any idea how old your test kit is? The AP kits in particular are known for showing a high reading for no3 with age. Look for an expiration date. Also do you know what your source water no3 level is? Do you use distilled, ro or ro/di water?

tecwzrd said:
AP kits in particular are known for showing a high reading for no3 with age. Look for an expiration date. Also do you know what your source water no3 level is? Do you use distilled, ro or ro/di water?

Thanks for the reply, I am actually using the AP test kits... and I can't find an expiration date on the packet mind :(. I have no idea what the source of no3 is... I do use ro water from the LFS.

I performed a 50% water change this evening... I'll update the thread with updated results tomorrow... I'll also look into getting a different make of test kit... are there any recommendations?

Thanks for the help.

The AP kits are fine for ph/nh3/no2/no3 as long as they aren't expired. I like the Salifert tests but they are kind of expensive. I use ap for most tests but use salifert for kh/alk/ca/no3. I have a red sea tests as well but personally don't care for them much.

tecwzrd said:
I use ap for most tests but use salifert for kh/alk/ca/no3.

Today I got a salifert no3 test kit... the result comes out at a colour between 25 & 50... which either way is still far too high (from what i've read)..!!

Back
Top Bottom